S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2 weeks, and 3 visits, and alot of self control, the dealer is installing a cam chain tensioner to eliviate the ticking noises from under the motor...hopefully (as i've heard here) it will run better to and the gas mileage will come back up.

The vibration over 50 turned out to be the drive shaft angle being off (Don't ask me how, the ride height has never been altered...I hope the engine didn't somehow "shift" in its mounts).

Anyone else have the cam tensioner installed? It help out??

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Now that you mention the engine mounts I would not be surprised if that is the cause of the driveshaft angle being off. A lot of people have had problems with the stock rubber mounts pulling apart (myself being one of them). I replaced one of the stock mounts with another brand new oem mount and not a month or two later it was vibrating again. I had enough of that and went with the polyurethane energy suspension mounts and it is ten times better.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...I told them to check the motor and trans mounts (I'm being told the techs are stumped and I don't want the problem fixed without the cause being fixed)....the cam tensioner kit still hasn't arrived. :/

Looks like I better get comfy in this damn cavileir.

·
Just order a large Farva
657 Posts
what year is your truck? i think i might have the same problem...what exactly does the ticking noise sound like?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Almost resembles spark knock or detonation. Sounds like hell really, but those two need to be ruled out before they'll do anything...2002

·
Anybody got 20's?
5,731 Posts
MINTSICK said:
Now that you mention the engine mounts I would not be surprised if that is the cause of the driveshaft angle being off. A lot of people have had problems with the stock rubber mounts pulling apart (myself being one of them). I replaced one of the stock mounts with another brand new oem mount and not a month or two later it was vibrating again. I had enough of that and went with the polyurethane energy suspension mounts and it is ten times better.

where did you get your polyurethane engine mounts? when i ordered my poly transmission mount from Summit they said they didn't have the engine mounts for my truck.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hey 02 s-10 xtreme
I see you go to Darlington. I'm there almost every other week. Last week I swapped and went on Sunday instead of Wednesday. Here's a pic of me against a '00 GT.

·
PCMPOWERTUNES
1,168 Posts
I posted a thread about the tensioner with the bulletin number and have had the repair done myself. after the dealer tried to tell me that my truck is lowered and my warranty is voided for the entire truck. I explained that i worked for gm as a tech and a service advisor and then a service manager and they better watch what they say and fix my timing chain or prepare to go to court. Now i am an inspector for gm ford toyota and other various extended warranty companies and i know the laws , dont let them try it with you ! Stewart keep us updated on the progress and the vibration . link to thread at bottom

Thanks JIm

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73532

·
***1987 LSX S10***
2,818 Posts
yea i called and asked them about shyt that voids my warranty...they told me basically what ever i do to it if i have a problem wit something and a paticular part that i installed could affect the problem i'm there for then its on me ....and so far i've had a new CAT, fuel pump, fuel filter, and MAF warrantied....and i had to use the allignment rack wit 4 guys 1 at each fender pick'n up on the truck to get the 1" more i need to clear on to it..LOL

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well...I just got a call from the dealer this evening...its done....since I work until 10:15PM over at Audi, I'll go pick it up tommorrow morning. I'll report back...

·
Trance is what I breathe
926 Posts
I broke both of my motor mounts and a tranny mounts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to check the mounts when I get it back...and if they are bad and that thing has to go back after me telling them to check...I am going to be PISSED.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the truck back today...engine is running great now...nowhere near as noisy and the power delivery seems to be smoother.

The drive shaft angle was off because the right rear leaf spring was bad/misaligned, so they replaced it. No more vibration.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
i know this is an old tread but could that be my ticking on my 2003 4.3? .....alomst sounds like a lifter ticking .....is that it?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
bump anyone?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Stewart said:
Anyone else have the cam tensioner installed? It help out??
GM isnt advising the remedy anymore. Seems the tensioners just wear out and the noise returns. The tensioner is for a noise 1700-2300 RPMS that sounds like detonating, but isnt. Its one of those you learn to live with deals. I've known quite a few who got it done and it returned in under 10,00 miles!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Damn you guys are great to hang with...
I always learn something useful here.

My '98 started a little of the same thing-
sounds a little like spark-knock, but I don't think it is.
It's way past any warranty. Any idea what a chain-tensioner replacement job might cost?
How much work is it to do?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts