S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Fever for the Flava
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when putting on a new thermostat should you put on a high temperature one or a low one?

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Im putting in a 160 degree...Most people will go with either that or a 180...Either is lower than the stock 195 degree...

·
Fever for the Flava
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool. thanxs, i think i bought a 160 deg. then i was wondering wether i got the right one.

·
life begins @ 20 psi
674 Posts
Just a word of caution if you live in an area where they have emissions testing. A cooler thermostat may make it more difficult for your truck to pass because the engine won't get as hot to burn off all the offending gasses. I have a 160 degree thermostat in my truck and I have emissions testing where I live but, I am exempt from it :D .

Mike

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
What Sy said was right. And also without a programmer-module you'll will get a SES code for low temp. Newer 98+'s wont even allow you to do this with one. The newer 4.3's are looking for a temp reading of 170-200, anything lower will cause a detune on the 98+'s. And it has nothing to do with open and closed loop like many believe, that is controlled by exhaust temps maintaining above 600 degrees at the 02 sensor's.

·
Fever for the Flava
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no my area doesnt require testing, they dont care to much either cause i used to have a toyota with no cat or muffler and i never got pulled over and it was the loudest thing i ever heard. so are you saying i shouldnt but on a lower thermostat without a programer? i have a tbi 4.3 vortec.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts