S-10 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
LS6 swap in progress.
1999 LS6 Sonoma on C5 Brakes
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone
just wondering if you changed thermos, what temp are you running and why. Im thinking about changing mine from stock (~195) to somthing lower. I've heard lowering it decreases gas mileage, though, but just wondering what others have done.

Thanks!
AJ

·
95 S-10 2200
510 Posts
I have a 195 and I can't get the truck to warm up to that temp anyway. I'm gettin about 23-25mpg right now. I know that before I replaced the head with everything stock I was getting 25-28.

·
The doctor is in...
1,251 Posts
You can't go any lower then 180* because your computer is going to freak out if you don't hit 179* with in a time span (don't know what the length is). Mine sits at about 185* on the highway and 210* in traffic. My e-fan is set to 190* so usually my fan is off (unless the AC is on) when I'm driving down the highway. I haven't seen any changes in my mpg. That is probably because I live in Houston and my engine is almost at stock temperature in traffic.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My truck overheats in traffic if I turn the ac on. I installed 3 E-fan (2 pullers 1 pusher) and a 180 degree thermostat, still the temperature goes thru the roof if I turn the ac on in traffic and goes down as soon as I turn it off. I even remove the thermostat, same problem, I beginning to think the something is wrong with the ac or the temperature sensor. By the way I notice the difference without that big and heavy clutch fan, in this trucks anything help.

·
The doctor is in...
1,251 Posts
Felipe 2.2 said:
My truck overheats in traffic if I turn the ac on. I installed 3 E-fan (2 pullers 1 pusher) and a 180 degree thermostat, still the temperature goes thru the roof if I turn the ac on in traffic and goes down as soon as I turn it off. I even remove the thermostat, same problem, I beginning to think the something is wrong with the ac or the temperature sensor. By the way I notice the difference without that big and heavy clutch fan, in this trucks anything help.
Had a similar problem, noticed you had an Xtreme. Seems to be an issue with air flow on these trucks. What solved it for me was the Flex-A-Lite Black Magic fan.

·
child at heart
1,546 Posts
Dr. Nate said:
You can't go any lower then 180* because your computer is going to freak out if you don't hit 179* with in a time span (don't know what the length is). Mine sits at about 185* on the highway and 210* in traffic. My e-fan is set to 190* so usually my fan is off (unless the AC is on) when I'm driving down the highway. I haven't seen any changes in my mpg. That is probably because I live in Houston and my engine is almost at stock temperature in traffic.
ditto here except i'm in dallas. i run my 180* ststat in the summer to help with the cooling but the a/c condenser is the problem, it's just a big heater in front of the radiator.

·
child at heart
1,546 Posts
Dr. Nate said:
Had a similar problem, noticed you had an Xtreme. Seems to be an issue with air flow on these trucks. What solved it for me was the Flex-A-Lite Black Magic fan.
tiny ass radiator is the problem especially with an auto pumping hot fluid through it too, i'm thinking about a separate cooler for the trans.

·
The doctor is in...
1,251 Posts
gregoneck said:
tiny ass radiator is the problem especially with an auto pumping hot fluid through it too, i'm thinking about a separate cooler for the trans.
Yeah, I forgot about you auto guys. This humidty here in Texas really kicks our butts.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have two 10 inch zirgo fans pulling and one 9 inch pushing. However I did noticed how thin the radiator is during the installation. In the old days you could take it to a radiator shop and they could double the capacity.

·
freeze!
61 Posts
yah now I have this problem in gillette wy too if I turn my ac on in traffic it over heats and its on like 70 here I have a 16" fan and a 10" fan but it still does this can any one tell me why? any suggestions?

·
The doctor is in...
1,251 Posts
The biggest issue is that people don't take into consideration the amount of air (CFM) that is moved by the fan. Also, there is a huge improvement withe the help of a fan shroud. That is why when I went to the Black Magic by Flex-A-Lite my over heating issues went away.

It is a bit high compared to most of the cheap fans, but it will do the job RIGHT. Your other option might be to consider the LS1 fans.

·
LS6 swap in progress.
1999 LS6 Sonoma on C5 Brakes
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah ive got an e-fan from a junk yard and it's worked well. i only had one time last summer when the temps got around 215 and thats when my AC was on...got pretty scared when i saw that gauge up that high, but after i turned off the AC all was well.

Thanks for the replies,

AJ

·
Registered
421 Posts
i have stock thermostat and im guessing its a 195... i dont think i have ever seen mine go over the 210 mark... even when i was crossing Rogue valley in oregon in the summer it never went over...

·
The doctor is in...
1,251 Posts
The stock setup will run around 210* most of the time. Last year on my way to S-Series Nationals we were passing through Dallas with 98* temps and 90% humidity and I was seeing 210 to 215 while sitting in traffic and 200 while moving.

When we hit Kansas and Missouri we were seeing 96* temps and I was running at about 190* through there. Humidity has a lot to do with engine cooling. :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts