S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really dont know a whole lot about how the combustion system in the 4.3 s-10 works, but what i was wondering is what is the difference between the stock thermostat...180 degree...and 160 degree thermostat...which one would u run and why? I know thats is a cheap add on..but alot of people talk about them when upgrading chips and things like that..I appreciate the help!:confused:

·
Registered
15 Posts
There is a little horsepower to gain from using a 160deg thermostat. It keeps the engine cooler and you get a denser air/fuel charge into the combustion chamber. Most people do this with a computer chip change because most vehicles are designed to run at 180deg and 160deg is too cold and the computer doesn't like it. It will run rich to try to warm up the engine. It is best to run a 160deg thermostat with a chip designed for 160deg. Thermostats are cheap but chips can cost well over $100 for a good one. Hypertech sell a chip/thermostat combo for cars and I think they have truck applications too. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yep, when I bought my Hypertech at a local shop they bundled the 160 Thermo in the deal. When your running the reprogramer it asks you if you have the 160 installed, so you don't necessarily have to have the 160 to have a chip..

But then again it says on the box a 160 thermo will give you optimized performance..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts