S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s up everyone,

The past few weeks, there’s been a guy that drives by and stops by my truck (83 s10). The third time he got out and stood by his car smoking a cigarette and drinking a coffee. He noticed my brother and I looking at him so he left. Today, the forth time, I was looking at the vacuum hoses with the hood open (I park on the corner). I closed the hood and he pulled up, passed my truck and stopped about five feet from my truck. I knew the car right away. I walked around the corner and watched. He stayed parked right in front of my truck for about a minute. Then he reversed right to the driver side and got out with a coffee and cigarette. I waited a second and walked over to my truck and pretended to take something out and walked back around the corner to get my brother ( I’ve been getting him into working on cars). This time we walked up to the guy and confronted him. words were exchanged and he left.

I’m from a crappy neighborhood and I should have done this a while ago. I’ve read and watched videos on wiring in a relay. What’s a good place to wire the relay to? I’m gonna use the starter so I don’t have to keep anything on. I was gonna use the headlights but don’t want to break the on/off switch by pulling in it 10 times a day. What else is there besides the blinkers, wipers, and lights? Am I able to wire in a kill switch as well?

let me know If you have good way to protect my truck? I get someone will take it if they want to but I’d rather make it hard. I already pop the hood every night and move things around.
Let me know.

Thanks,
Yowakawaka

·
Registered
512 Posts
Followiing along... had a thief cut the chain link fence around my lot and steal the PCM out of my 2000 pickup. That's all they took. No battteries, no wheels and tires, just the computer.
Gotta be careful - many thieves actually believe that they have a right to your stuff and if you stop them, they'll retaliate. I have 30 or so vehicles in my lot, that's a lot of windows and windshields that can be shot out. I'm working on a way to move them along to easier pickings and leave mine alone. I have found skunk spray in cans like crowd control and if I could find a way to trip a motion detector and set if off for a few short blasts, I think it would work. I sure as **** don't want to be around any skunks, I hate 'em!
If that doesn't work, my buddy is a gunsmith, he's already making some 12ga booby traps that use blanks. If I didn't have so much grass in and around the lot, I'd use a Dragon's Breath shell, they're awesome

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Salty Crusty try using some big dogs in your yard. I used to tow cars and we had three and one really big dog. He was so big, they ended up sending him to a farm. He would sit in cars and sleep inside the ones with the windows down. The only time I’ve heard anyone break into the yard, the boss heard the dogs and got the guy. The boss told me he beat the guy up, dragged him out to the train tracks, and called the cops and said there was a guy all beat up over there. Thats a little drastic but to each their own.

I’m gonna work on wiring in a relay today. At least if someone gets in then might not be able to take it. I’m gonna start to take the cool wire and replace it with a dummy wire.

I’m gonna have a bunch of questions on how to do this so prepare to be annoyed. I have a factory manual now so I’m hoping it’ll help. The wiring diagrame might as well be Chinese.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,600 Posts
try something a bit more simple- pull the ecm fuse and keep it in the ashtray.

Reactions: oldgold1985

·
Registered
‘95 LS 2.2L Manual RWD
363 Posts
I had a buddy that wired up the cigarette lighter in his Mustang as a kill switch. I don’t remember exactly, but I know he removed the heating element. Push it in it would run. Pull it out and it wouldn’t.

·
Registered
111 Posts
We had some vehicles stolen in my area, so I took to disconnecting something vital in my 1st gen Blazer's engine bay every night for a while. It wasn't convenient to have to reconnect it every morning but sure helped me sleep a lot better.

It's never worked since I've owned it, but my truck has the remains of an old aftermarket alarm still in it. There's a switch in the end of the little storage shelf under the dashboard that I think used to be a kill switch, doesn't do anything for me but it seems like a good place to put one. I'd maybe just paint it black or a color to match your dash so it isn't a shiny, obvious silver switch.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,600 Posts
pull 20 amp ign/gau

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So I’ve been looking into threads about alarms and all the stuff they can do. What is the actual reality of what I can do to a stock 83? It doesn’t have any power windows or locks. I’m not sure if remote start will even work. Do these thing need to be installed for a good alarm system to work? What should I actually be considering? If I pull the coil wire and the ecu fuse, will it effect the alarm system?

I defiantly want to install an alarm. Probably a 2 way if possible. If I can, I’d like to install a relay to if it’ll work with an alarm. The best way I could see detouring thrives is witch loud noises so I’d like to have really loud sirens backed up by a second battery. Is this possibly and what am I looking to spend?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I simply had a momentary, normally off push button switch on my dash. It powered (activated) the relay I installed on the positive coil wire on my 78 Chevy C10. I put a label on it saying "Alarm Test". You can always hide your switch. Maybe somewhere by seatbelt coil between seat and door. Or under the seat in that area. This way you can push it with your left hand while someone is riding with you without them knowing about it.

You don't have to use the positive line to the coil. It can be any circuit that doesn't allow the vehicle to run when there is no power. (fuel pump, ECM, etc.)

Make a jumper wire from an engine on power supply of your fuse box to the "activation" tab. This will keep the positive power circuit complete (turned on) as long as the engine is running. Once you shut it off, the coil loses power and deactivates. Even with the key, the truck won't start again unless you press your secret switch.

Attachments

·
time to get cereal
5,615 Posts
If they want to steal your truck, they'll just roll it onto a trailer and be gone...

Parking brake cables are easy to cut, driveshafts are easy to disconnect, tow dollies or car trailers are easy to acquire. Watch some repo videos on youtube, you can take anything no matter how fancy it is.

Why you think they need to get inside and start it is beyond me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If they want to steal your truck, they'll just roll it onto a trailer and be gone...

Parking brake cables are easy to cut, driveshafts are easy to disconnect, tow dollies or car trailers are easy to acquire. Watch some repo videos on youtube, you can take anything no matter how fancy it is.

Why you think they need to get inside and start it is beyond me.
That is true. Locks and alarms will only stop an honest thief. I'm just not going to make it easy for them.

·
FLORIDA BUTCH
111 Posts
One of our Florida Hurricanes blew my s10 down the road. After that I chained it to a post. Instead of just one thing to defeat, make multiple things they have to do.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,600 Posts
simple- anchor chain ran thru rim in front to rim in back with a stout padlock- think Abloy is still the go to. Bonus- now you have a tow chain in the truck if you need it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Boblesek thanks! It’s basically like wiring in a relay but with a switch instead.

I’m still thinking about how I want to go about this. I’ve just been pulling things but it’s a pain to put them back everyday.

@manbearpig I towed cars for two years and never had to do anything crazy to take a car. I would just pull it up on a flatbread or lift it with the wheel lift. Alarm going off and everything. It’s that easy. I mostly want to keep crackheads from taking it by making a scream when there in it. At least, I want to confuse them when there trying to take it.

@FLORIDA BUTCH thats exactly what I have in mind. Twist this, pull that, spin around three times, pat your head five times, and start.

@Jayhawke that sounds like a pain

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,600 Posts
if you want cool without the wiring issues- racing style steering wheel- REMOVABLE- take it in the house with you- let them try to drive that away.... .

Reactions: manbearpig

·
Registered
2004 Avalanche. 2001 V6 Extended Cab ZQ8.
1,343 Posts
Most likely no matter what you do, if the thief wants it they will take it. So why not make sure you can find if after they do. GPS trackers are fairly cheap as is the cost of the sub to track them. Where I live is pretty quiet but someone decided that it would be the perfect place to start stealing stuff. My son got his dirt bike stolen, so I bought a GPS tracker for mine. It's water proof and small, it can be hidden really easy. It has it's own batteries that last a good long time (at least the version I bought). A few weeks later my bike got stolen too. The next morning I got my bike back... and my son's bike as it was the same guy both times. The thief was busted being in possession of 18 bicycles, 5 known theft motorcycles, and at least 12 other bikes with unknown ownership. Best $100 I spend in a long time. I will post a link to the brand I bought if I can find it again. I dont own it any more, I sold it with the bike when I sold the bike.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Rebel n Dirt Sweet, that guy deserves to get caught. I thought about doing that with an old IPhone. I would just hook up a charger to it from the cig lighter and hide it. Problem is paying the bill.

·
Registered
2004 Avalanche. 2001 V6 Extended Cab ZQ8.
1,343 Posts
The trackers I had only cost like $10 per month for the subscription to them. I let them go with the bikes I had them on because now I have inside storage to keep them safe. They were from Amazon, but I can’t find the link, my purchase history don’t go back that far any more. They were less than $100 each, then a subscription to the vendor that made the devices For the tracking. When I noticed the bike gone I called 911, reported it, then got on my computer and found the bike. I called the sheriff back and gave him the tracking information, and the next day I had my bikes back, and the thief got some silver bracelets and a new address in a gated community.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts