S-10 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 97 Posts

·
22 psi...stock
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
bvr775 said:
don't feel bad. apearently I'm the idiot because after all the years of welding i have i don't know what a good full pentration weld is.
never said ya didnt know bro...im just telling you that you are wrong

·
Hoods are overrated
12,693 Posts
if your hobart died becuase you passed the duty cycle too many times, that's your own fault man

mine sure does weld 1/4" in a single pass and it's only a 125 amp machine, and naturally, I obey the duty cycle and don't run the piss out of it with thicker stuff

if you'll use it like it's intended and not crank the amps as high as possible and try to build a full frame in a day you'll be fine and you won't kill the welder

·
1,139 Posts
bvr775 said:
I'll answer the century quetion. if you own one I'm sorry. If your looking at buying one DON'T.
yeah, I didn't buy it, everyone I asked about it just drew a blank....lol....
so I stayed away from it.......thanks for your opinion..:tup:

·
22 psi...stock
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
bvr775 said:
It's your money.
if you have a 115v machine its only rated at 90a, but most will go up to 135a. That doesn't mean you should though
:rolleyes: what are you talking about bro?

·
Registered
472 Posts
spend the xtra cash and get 220v i love my miller 175 mig welders are an investment chose wisely but miller lincoln and hobart are all about =. there all great welders. look at fine detail miller has reostat controls i htink this is a plus. plus blue color lol. buy a well known brand name not harbor freight junk you get what you puy forhttp.
://www.cardomain.com/ride/2305335

·
Registered
700 Posts
I own a hobart handler 140 and I love it. I have three words for you. Hobart,Miller,Lincoln. You cant go wrong with any of the three. I wouldnt even consider any other brands.

·
Registered
21 Posts
snap-on MM250 mig/tig works like a champ!!!! wrapped many hopper frames,tig is sweet too just finished a s/s turbo mani. for a saturn drag car.

·
Registered
452 Posts
i have the lincoln sp 135, i love it. i dont use it as much as id like to but its great. what would you guys recomend for a TIG welder, keep in mind that i dont want to spend $3000 for one. ive seen the small MILLER TIG welders about the size of a large lunch box, how much are they?

·
"The graphics guy"
130 Posts
I have the Millermatic DVI. It is a sick welder. More or less a MM 135 and a MM 175 all in one box with a little high duty cycle than the MM 175 almost a MM185. The 110 is nice for exhaust and sheetmetal. I wouldn't even try to weld anything structural with it. Thats what 220 is for.

To the guys welding frames with 110v...ya of course it holds...for now.

·
22 psi...stock
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
To the guys welding frames with 110v...ya of course it holds...for now.
i guess ignorance is bliss...your statement is 100% incorrect :2far:

weld 1/8" steel together at 100a, with .035 fc wire with a 110 machine and then with a 220 machine...there will be no difference it the appearance of the bead. there will be no difference in penetration either. i welded my bridge with a 110 machine 3 or 4 years ago and its holding up just fine.

·
"The graphics guy"
130 Posts
i guess ignorance is bliss...your statement is 100% incorrect :2far:

weld 1/8" steel together at 100a, with .035 fc wire with a 110 machine and then with a 220 machine...there will be no difference it the appearance of the bead. there will be no difference in penetration either. i welded my bridge with a 110 machine 3 or 4 years ago and its holding up just fine.
That has to be the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. That still doesn't mean it is going to hold under abuse or that I would weld it with 220 at 100amps either. Not to mention your killing your welder to do it. I build shit to last and take the abuse. I've welded 10,000lb tie downs for dropping trucks from planes. I've never had a bumper D ring pull out from four wheeling but I have seen enough peoples 110 volt crap break and nearly kill people to know that 110v welders are NOT MADE FOR BUILDING ANYTHING STRUCTURAL and if you don't believe me, go ask on a welding forum. Prove me wrong.

But hey as long as you aren't driving in front of me, I could care less what you do.

·
22 psi...stock
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
That has to be the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. That still doesn't mean it is going to hold under abuse or that I would weld it with 220 at 100amps either. Not to mention your killing your welder to do it. I build shit to last and take the abuse. I've welded 10,000lb tie downs for dropping trucks from planes. I've never had a bumper D ring pull out from four wheeling but I have seen enough peoples 110 volt crap break and nearly kill people to know that 110v welders are NOT MADE FOR BUILDING ANYTHING STRUCTURAL and if you don't believe me, go ask on a welding forum. Prove me wrong.

But hey as long as you aren't driving in front of me, I could care less what you do.
if you weld it right it wont break...nuff said, im not going to argue with you. :rolleyes:

21 - 40 of 97 Posts