S-10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I installed my new March pullies tonight- wasnt fun but theyre on.

NOW, heres the story- I went to VIP and said hey, I need a belt 2" shorter than original. The guy brought out a OEM size and then a 2 inch shorter one- bought it, got the pullies installed in my garage- now i have a belt way to long.

WHAT IS THE RIGHT BELT FOR THE POWER/AMP 2 PULLEY SET?

When we say 2 inches shorter belt, I assume (ass outta u and me) that we are talking circumfrence and not diameter. In other words, hold the OEM belt next to the one at XYZ auto store and it is ideally ONE inch shorter thumb to thumb.....

SOMEONE HAVE A CLEAR ANSWER?? I am not driving the blaze far tomorrow without a serp on it.

·
Banned
21,222 Posts
if u lay them both down on the ground, the new one you need, will fit inside the OEM one.

It will be shorter, therefore, smaller.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
I would think the smaller one as well, don't know much about them myself. Are you by any chance running any type of audio system, and if so does this pulley set say anything about charging problems with an audio system?

·
LT1 Powered
2,467 Posts
get a piece of string or yarn or whatever you have, and route it around the pullies, take 2 measurments, one with the tensioner all the way tight, and the other with it all the way loose
then go buy a belt that is in the middle of those two measurments

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys-
I am headed up to the auto store now to get hopefully the right one. The string trick sounds good but it may be tough to get the string held on each pulley.... I was hoping for a part number. The instructions came with some P/N's but not specifically for the 02. Only up to 97.

About the stereo- Yeah I have a 1000W Xplod to one 12 in the back... Infinity all around, left the stock head unit in. I can give you an RE on the charging hopefully in about an hour!! Also, if you ever do replace the rear speakers, I reccomend getting a bunch of polyester stuffing, like whats in a pillow and stuff it everywhere! No more rattle rattle.

The 2 pulley set from march is supposed to maintain original alternator output. I did some calculations with the diameters and it ends up about 24% underdrive and the alternator pulley is on the money at 24% overdrive. *in theory* it should be the same-

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys-
I am headed up to the auto store now to get hopefully the right one. The string trick sounds good but it may be tough to get the string held on each pulley.... I was hoping for a part number. The instructions came with some P/N's but not specifically for the 02. Only up to 97.

About the stereo- Yeah I have a 1000W Xplod to one 12 in the back... Infinity all around, left the stock head unit in. I can give you an RE on the charging hopefully in about an hour!! Also, if you ever do replace the rear speakers, I reccomend getting a bunch of polyester stuffing, like whats in a pillow and stuff it everywhere! No more rattle rattle.

The 2 pulley set from march is supposed to maintain original alternator output. I did some calculations with the diameters and it ends up about 24% underdrive and the alternator pulley is on the money at 24% overdrive. *in theory* it should be the same- Thanks Guys-

The 2 pulley set from march is supposed to maintain original alternator output. I did some calculations with the diameters and it ends up about 24% underdrive and the alternator pulley is on the money at 24% overdrive. *in theory* it should be the same- Thanks Guys-

The 2 pulley set from march is supposed to maintain original alternator output. I did some calculations with the diameters and it ends up about 24% underdrive and the alternator pulley is on the money at 24% overdrive. *in theory* it should be the same-

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^^^WTF?^^^^^^^ It wont let me delete that- sorry... I am in Maine and we arent that quick with these puters.

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FYI

2310MM is a tad too short- wont fit over alt pulley with tensioner out in full range!

2360MM slipped and smoked on the alt when i turned on the PIAAs + heat to full.

Off to find an odd size- thinking right about 2330MM. (91-3/4")

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Sorry I have been talking to myself alot here... BUT the answer is:

Gates P/N K060915, a 2340MM belt. This has been a painful trial and error!

I am very happy with the performance gain...pulls very noticeably harder up top with a lot less st-ut-utter down low. Revs much more freely.:thumbup:

PS- I knew that I needed a shorter belt.... just how much was the ?!

Mintstick... No charging issues at all.. I had my 4 accessory lights, driving & fog, fan on HI, High beams, cranked up the bass with a little Roots, everything with substantial current, and charge is maintained to original.:clap:

·
Peanuts Performance
117 Posts
Is your alt pulley larger or smaller then stock? I fit is larger, you will want to put your stock one back on or your volts will be low at idle. I had that problem and put the stock one back on and it works great. The vlts are just below the 14 mark. My belt is a Goodyear Gatorback 6PK2345 (4060922). That might help you out. Like I said, I only have the crank pulley on there that is smaller.

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you have your orig pulley on the alt with a smaller drive pulley then you have lost charging capacity at idle-

I fully understand belt size relation to pulley size... just a matter of what exact size is needed! Think of pulleys like a multi speed bike... easiest way to do it.

The water pump pulley will spin 24% less speed than it used to... The H20 pump is not the limiter in the system... the radiator is- of course you do lose some MAX ability to cool but in Maine, I am not too worried about it.

I THINK there are 25.4MM/Inch

If i am right then 2340/25.4 equals approx 92-1/8" circumfrence...

Might want to check on the 25.4=1inch thing though.

I just posted this soo much because it was a royal PITA getting the right size on!! The P/Ns in the instructions are useless towards the right size...so just use this as a fact...2340MM for the march power/amp series 25% reduction pullies on the 4.3 W/ AC!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey G60,
You are right on the money. 1 inch=25.4mm and 2340mm IS 92 1/8". Hey, I have a nice set of AL pulleys that someone gave me for a 4.3, but I don't know if they are March or not. Can you get a measurement of the sizes of your alt and crank pulleys to give me something to guage mine off of? I would really appreciate. Also I've got a '99. What was the size of your stock belt? Thanks!

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont have the diameters right handy but can get them to ya- will post them later.

Another way to figure out what you have is measure your stock diameters and then figure out the reduction...

Pretty easy to do-

New pulley/old pulley = % change.

% change up or down confuses some people.... smaller drive = decrease belt speed
smaller driven = increase in driven pulley speed

you can take my 24% and figure out the size you would need for 24% reduction. i.e. measure up the ones on your truck and multiply those #'s by .24. Sorry if that was long winded-

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
TTT-

Because I am still real happy with the mod- If you dont have it and plan on throwing 130 bucks at your truck (after belt $) ,
GET IT!!

I put on 700 miles since and no issues except going alot better on the highway (ZR2s arent the best highway cruisers) and getting better gas mileage, faster!

----oh, whiteextreme.. just so there isnt too much confusion, your belt part number only applies to your pulley size.. stock alt pulley- mine was for the march power amp series kit which has a smaller alt pulley----

·
Registered
605 Posts
I just installed my pulleys yesterday and when i was done and got my first belt (91 3/8), it was too tight so i got a 91 5/8...it fits just right...pm me if you have questions

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you get the March Power&Amp series?? Mine ended up being 92-1/8"... pretty close I guess... Is your tensioner about mid-travel? What do you think of the pullies?

·
Registered
605 Posts
I did get a two piece (alternator, crankshaft pullies)...i'm not really sure about the tension cause my friend was the one that put it on...I can feel a little difference right now...i'm just waiting for 1000 miles until it breaks in and then i'm going to see how good it works...hehehehe...

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1000 miles for what to break in? Belt? Looking at your mods and year I am guessing over 1000Mi on it.... although OAHU is probably a good place to buy a low mileage vehicle..getting it back to mainland could be $$, unless you know the right people! :) Oooops, I just jumped in mine and hammered on it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts