S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so this is a bit more like a wet dream:bah: , but is this is what I want to do and I want to know if it is possible.

I have a 2002 ZQ8 4.3 w/ a manual, std cab

I want to know if is possible to adapt the AWD setup from the new Astro vans to my truck, similar to the syclone/typhoon. Will I have to change my tranny or can I just get the new center section and differential. If this is possible what hardware is involved? I don't know a lot about 4x4/AWD setups.

For the engine, here's the list:
-forged pistons/rods
-forged crank
-either MAJOR head work or all new heads
-custom aluminum intake manifold(probably from www.force-efi.com )
-larger throttle body (58mm ?)
-MSD prgrammable digital 7 ignition
- 11-13lb flywheel
-a few other goodies
-and HERE"S THE KICKER...

-a TURBO! :evilg: I'm looking into a T3/T4 size turbo pushing a maximum of ~18psi at the track and 5-7psi on the road, also an external wastegate and other accessories


So it would be sort of like a second generation Syclone. And NO i wouldn't put make believe badging on it or call it that. I just want serious stoplight warrior status.

Keep in mind this is just an idea, and yes i AM SERIOUS about doing this when my warrany runs up. Cosmetics and saving up for this will keep me busy until then. The info I really need is if the AWD conversion is possible. What hardware would have to be removed/replaced/added? Would I have to cut out/modify/add crossmember(s)? Any help would be appreciated.

PS - sorry for the book
 

·
want my #... 911 beotch!!
Joined
·
2,186 Posts
mtl_hed said:
Alright so this is a bit more like a wet dream:bah: , but is this is what I want to do and I want to know if it is possible.

I have a 2002 ZQ8 4.3 w/ a manual, std cab

I want to know if is possible to adapt the AWD setup from the new Astro vans to my truck, similar to the syclone/typhoon. Will I have to change my tranny or can I just get the new center section and differential. If this is possible what hardware is involved? I don't know a lot about 4x4/AWD setups.

For the engine, here's the list:
-forged pistons/rods
-forged crank
-either MAJOR head work or all new heads
-custom aluminum intake manifold(probably from www.force-efi.com )
-larger throttle body (58mm ?)
-MSD prgrammable digital 7 ignition
- 11-13lb flywheel
-a few other goodies
-and HERE"S THE KICKER...

-a TURBO! :evilg: I'm looking into a T3/T4 size turbo pushing a maximum of ~18psi at the track and 5-7psi on the road, also an external wastegate and other accessories


So it would be sort of like a second generation Syclone. And NO i wouldn't put make believe badging on it or call it that. I just want serious stoplight warrior status.

Keep in mind this is just an idea, and yes i AM SERIOUS about doing this when my warrany runs up. Cosmetics and saving up for this will keep me busy until then. The info I really need is if the AWD conversion is possible. What hardware would have to be removed/replaced/added? Would I have to cut out/modify/add crossmember(s)? Any help would be appreciated.

PS - sorry for the book
one word... DAMN!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,105 Posts
I would have to agree with the Wet Dream part. You will need a very deep pocketbook to do all of that. But, it doesn't hurt to dream.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is NOT neccsarily a dream. I plan to do it when my warranty runs up. Thats why I want to know if anyone know if the AWD conversion can be done and how much work is involved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,094 Posts
Go for it man! Anything can be done with the money. Ive heard of people putting the Grand National drive train into regular Regals before, so I dont see why this would be any different.:thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do you guys think about the v6 buildup? Since everything but the wiring would be gutted doing that anyway shoud I just rip the wiring to and go for a small block? I'm talking price-wise now. A T/C v6 will put out about as much power as a mild-moderatly modified 350. So if I had X number of dallars to spend which would I get more power out of?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
JMO but I wouldn't go for the Astro unit.... May be rather difficult to fit into the frame. Look into the SmartTrack system on late model Bravadas 2000 and back ( I doubt the new one would work) The Sy/Ty system was a Bravada AWD unit.
Just a thought. Hope it helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,374 Posts
Steve66 said:
JMO but I wouldn't go for the Astro unit.... May be rather difficult to fit into the frame. Look into the SmartTrack system on late model Bravadas 2000 and back ( I doubt the new one would work) The Sy/Ty system was a Bravada AWD unit.
Just a thought. Hope it helps.
the astro is the same one as the syty and the bravada and if yer 2 wheelling which a zq8 is it wont work i already asked something along these lines... you have to have a 4X4 frame the front of the frame is different on the 4X4 to make room for the shafts to the wheels... yer riving a 2wd it wont happen gotta start with a 4X4 todo that tho it sounds like a wicked thing to do... id like to try myself but i have a 2wd too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Allright, becuase of the inherent difficulty of doing an AWD setup. I have decided to either do a heavy v6 buildup similar to above, or a v8 swap mildly modified. The money I would have spent doing AWD drive will probably go into a nice rearend. Possibly tubbing it out.

The last question is: What are your opinions on the engine build. For a set amount of money which would give more power?
-turbo 4.3, lots of internals
-327 high revs, NA
-350 mild internals, NA

-lets say I have 6k total to spend on powertrain. This would include the v8 block if I did a swap, I obviously already own the 4.3 block.
 

·
.........
Joined
·
14,970 Posts
mtl_hed said:
Allright, becuase of the inherent difficulty of doing an AWD setup. I have decided to either do a heavy v6 buildup similar to above, or a v8 swap mildly modified. The money I would have spent doing AWD drive will probably go into a nice rearend. Possibly tubbing it out.

The last question is: What are your opinions on the engine build. For a set amount of money which would give more power?
-turbo 4.3, lots of internals
-327 high revs, NA
-350 mild internals, NA

-lets say I have 6k total to spend on powertrain. This would include the v8 block if I did a swap, I obviously already own the 4.3 block.
If you have 6k to drop just into that motor. I would spend half of it on a stroker crank. and have N/A 5.0 v6:evilg: :evilg:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Boss

Why not go with a Fuel injected Boss 302, supercharged? I have some hook ups with the owner of a performance shop out here and can find out how the number would match up but I would imagine that you would put out higher numbers with the 302 then with the stock v6 highly modified... Plus it would open up alot more possibilities with that block and with different cams, pistons, and boring options. The other option that I want to do in an s-10 is put a fuel injected 350, supercharge it, and put it on the bottle.
 

·
The Heezy To The Skeezy
Joined
·
349 Posts
01ZQ8 said:
Go for it man! Anything can be done with the money. Ive heard of people putting the Grand National drive train into regular Regals before, so I dont see why this would be any different.:thumbup:
Local guy got a Grand national engine in an S-10. But he help design the engine in the first place.
 

·
.........
Joined
·
14,970 Posts
Re: Boss

X-Stylin735 said:
Why not go with a Fuel injected Boss 302, supercharged? I have some hook ups with the owner of a performance shop out here and can find out how the number would match up but I would imagine that you would put out higher numbers with the 302 then with the stock v6 highly modified... Plus it would open up alot more possibilities with that block and with different cams, pistons, and boring options. The other option that I want to do in an s-10 is put a fuel injected 350, supercharge it, and put it on the bottle.
Um......a ford motor in a chevy????? I'm thinkin you misiterpreted(sp) when i said 5.0. A stroked and bored 4.3 equals out to 5.0 roughtly. Just wanted to clear the air on that one.





Having met MTL HED himself i think he kind wants to be a lil diff than every body else. That's why I HIGHLY recomend the crank:D


Come on Josh you know you want to:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
444 Posts
Actually, Chevy did make a 302 back in the late 60's. It came as an option in Camaro Z28's and SS's if I'm not mistaken, in Firebirds also. It came with solid lifters, huge holley carb and if you ordered the option headers were included but not installed at the factory. The car would be delivered to the dealer with headers in the trunck of the car and had to installed by the dealer.

I know first hand what one of these motors can do. It was an absolute adreniline rush years ago to actually drive a "69" Z28 owned by a friend (I owned a "68" Camaro RS with a built up 327). The car was completely stock and it had no problem smoking the tires through every gear of the stock Muncie 4 speed tranny. With posi rear-end I had to let off the gas because I just about fishtailed right off the road in 4th gear.

Gone are the days of the true muscle car. With all the emissions standards it's impossible to get real raw power to the pavement today. I can only reminisce of the days when just tapping on the gas would light up the tires.

Oops...got carried away with old memories.
 

·
.........
Joined
·
14,970 Posts
Zac said:
Actually, Chevy did make a 302 back in the late 60's. It came as an option in Camaro Z28's and SS's if I'm not mistaken, in Firebirds also. It came with solid lifters, huge holley carb and if you ordered the option headers were included but not installed at the factory. The car would be delivered to the dealer with headers in the trunck of the car and had to installed by the dealer.

I know first hand what one of these motors can do. It was an absolute adreniline rush years ago to actually drive a "69" Z28 owned by a friend (I owned a "68" Camaro RS with a built up 327). The car was completely stock and it had no problem smoking the tires through every gear of the stock Muncie 4 speed tranny. With posi rear-end I had to let off the gas because I just about fishtailed right off the road in 4th gear.

Gone are the days of the true muscle car. With all the emissions standards it's impossible to get real raw power to the pavement today. I can only reminisce of the days when just tapping on the gas would light up the tires.

Oops...got carried away with old memories.
Yes you are correct on chevy's 302. But he also included Boss with the term 302 so that's where I just thoguht i would step in.


Hmmmmmm yeah josh a 302 chevy would be pretty sweet and unique heh heh heh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
350 aka 383 NA

If I were you, I would switch to a 350.

I would get a block from a newer chevy truck to take advantage of the hydrualic roller cam. Get a nice forged summit crank-and talk to those guys there for the details on the rest of the stuff. They are pretty intelligent and can do a lot for you. I would also go to forged pistons and about stage II summit connecting rods. Run 10:1 compression with a set of new heads that World Products just came out with that is specifically engineered for 383 up small blocks and hydraulic roller cams. Fuel injected could be handled by modified intake/fuel system out of a newer Vortech V8 pickup-or you could edelbrock pro-flo it. Going a less expensive route and carburating it could be good too-try and Edel Performer RPM with a 750cfm demon carb. I like Mallories Unilite system for ignition-it seems to work well. 1 and 5/8" headers and you would be set.

Or got to something a little bigger than a 383- you can get a Dart block and a Lunati crank to stretch it to an easy 400 ci :evilg:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
In reference to the "Boss 302" All a Boss 302 is a 302 block with 350 heads... So they can be on both fords and chevy's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Allright, sorry for the delayed post. Much to Twiggs delight I think I am going to hop up the v6. It seems to be the cheaper solution b'c I already own the block, and can rework the current heads.(as if I had a choice between reworking and aftermarket:rolleyes: ). So I'm looking at a T3/T4 or similar turbo, forged crank,rods,pistons. Sorry twigg I will probably not be using the larger stroke crank. It will put more stress on the connecting rods and then that means less boost:( . As for the drivetrain I will either be doing 15x10s and an Auburn diff. or if I have the money I'll tub out the rearend. I know someone who can do the welding/sheetmetal work. SO i would just need a new axle/suspension/diff. What do ya guys think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
LOL!

To Metal Head-

Your plan sounds awesome. Good luck! You are going to need a sticky clutch for your set up!

To X-Stylin-

HERE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BOSS 302 AND THE 302 CHEVY MADE:

The Boss is ford. Different block casting. Different internals. Different heads. Different place of manufacturing. The were put in different cars BOSS IN FORDS, the other in chevys. The Chevy 302 was discontinued in 1969, the Ford 302 just left America this year as the older style ford explorer was the last to use them. Now the 4.6L is the Ford V8 of choice.

The Chevy 302 was pretty awesome. I have its specs in my '69 chevelle owners manual-it wasn't an option for the Chevelle, but the Chevelle and the Camaro had the same manuals back in the day. It had solid lifters. 300hp. Yeah. 'nuff said.

LOL, I still can't believe you thought they were one and the same!

Nat
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top