S-10 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So changed 02 sensor after getting a code for o2 heater circuit bank 1, sensor 1. Reset check engine light and it came back in a couple days. Fast forward a couple weeks and I replace my radiator support, before doing this I cleaned (sanded) all the ground connection points on the radiator support and the ground wires themselves. Put the truck all back together and noticed the check engine light is out and has stayed off, awesome I'll take it. 99 zr2, 4.3, auto trans., 4x4

·
Registered
98 2.2 Extended cab, 2001 V6 Extended cab Sport Suspension, 2001 V6 Extended Cab 4x4
1,342 Posts
Some of the most confusing issues in all automotive and electronics is the bad ground. The thing that most don’t understand is ground is nothing more than a more negative potential. It is supposed to be the same potential as the negative side of the battery but it isn’t always the case. Sometimes you will get 12v sitting on a load such as a light for example, but no ground. But tied into that same circuit is another set of lights that do have a ground, but after the current flows through the lights with the ground, they now have only 8v sitting on them. The lights that are 12v will see a lower potential and current will flow because there is a 4v difference. Yes that’s right there is a +12 and a +8 but current will flow... it’s because there is a more negative potential. So the non grounded lights will now be lit. But here is the catch... sometimes the lights with the good ground will actually be the dimmer ones, depending on how they are wired. So you think the issue is with the dim lights, and you chase your tail trying to find out what’s going on, but it was a phantom load from another place in the vehicle that was missing its ground...

oh yea, it’s fun!

Reactions: bl1871
1 - 2 of 2 Posts