S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
S10 *****'s Youth Pastor
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening All,

I figured I would start a build thread. This is my 3rd S10 V8 swap. After having selling my 02 SS Camaro, I decided to build another truck. I bought this truck already bagged and bodied from Silver97Dime, I think that's his screen name. He's a good buddy of mine. After he bagged and bodied it, he lost interest. I've bothered him for 2 or 3 years to sell it, and this year he did. I picked it up for a good deal. Before I picked the truck up, I bought a 99 LS1 and a T-56.

This build may go slow, depending on my work and family schedule. I hope to enjoy it soon.

Here's the truck when i bought it. Layin' frame on 20's. SFBD with a 4 Link in the back.

I bought a 2 door Blazer for the fuel tank, to replace the fuel cell that's currently in it. The truck currently has no interior other than the dash and seats. I'm hoping to modify most of the blazer interior to fit. I'll worry about the extended cab stuff when that time comes. I'm swapping the dash out (gray to charcoal), hoping to put heat back in the truck and trying to figure out if I want to attempt to put A/C back in it. I'm also planning on converting to power windows from the blazer
Here's how it currently sits.

I do some mechanical and body work on the side so I have stuff in and out of my shop all the time. Right now I have 3 other cars and 2 motorcycles to work on in here, hence the possibly slow build/swap.

I had a guy wanting my engine, so I sold the 2.2 which give me some incentive to get started.
I pulled the front clip off the first night and started disconnecting stuff.

Got the engine/tranny pulled on the second night. Found some stuff that wasn't done as well as i would've hoped when the floor was done on the cab. So I've got some more work to do, mainly some sanding and primering. I also have a leak in my passenger side floor board and I think my 3rd brake light is leaking as well, so I'll eventually shave it.

I've got my engine/tranny, I ordered poly mounts and ceramic headers from CPW. I also have my radiator and fan set up that I ordered from speedcooling.com. I'm very impressed with the quality of the parts. Also, Jared from CPW told me to get some tubular upper control arms. I've got 3 inch drop spindles on the truck right now, and I've been looking at Suicide Doors uppers. Would anyone recommend other uppers in the same price range as SD's that are good quality?? I'm sure I'll plenty more questions. Thanks for looking.

I'm planning on 1-1-1/2 months on truck being down. I want to enjoy it some more this summer.

·
S10 *****'s Youth Pastor
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the trans tunnel should sit like it does stock. The whole floor was raised and the cab lowered over the frame. Yeah, I've converted them to power windows before. Not too big of a deal. I love that on the power window harness is seperated from the rest of the harness. Makes converting easier. Nice blazer btw.

·
Mr Cheech
2,399 Posts

·
S10 *****'s Youth Pastor
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Sleeper. The Z'd frame up front is just to drop the front down to bolt the core support to because of the body drop. The only issue that could arise from that is hood clearance, but from what I understand the LS1 actually sits lower than the factory 2.2L does so I should be good. The P.O. cut a small hole in the hood to clear the valve cover of the 2.2. I want to keep a stock hood on it if all possible. I'm putting a composite headlight sonoma (96 model) front end on it and starting with a fresh hood. I wish it was a 98+ S10 front end, but it was on the Jimmy (blazer) that I bought and I'm wanting HID's. I want to keep a stock hood on it if all possible.

·
You lost me at carburetor
1,529 Posts
Very cool and good looking truck! There are a lot of variables that you have sorted out already! The donor blazer parts sound like they are the way to go. Nice job, and I am looking forward to the rest of your build! Btw, chuck norris is cool as well.

·
S10 *****'s Youth Pastor
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha Chuck Norris. It's been in my sig a few years. And Sleeper, I didn't realize that I've been following your build for a while, very nice!!

·
S10 *****'s Youth Pastor
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I may take you up on that, but I'm gonna see how the Sonoma hood looks on it first. In fact, need to update my profile, i'm near joplin now, about 3 hours from you.
Small update, I cleaned out my shop and moved my truck out side. Took some degreaser to the frame and cleaned it up. Moved it back inside and to the back of my shop. Put it up on jack stands. I may shoot a pic tonight. I need some ideas on what to do with the brake line, but i'm sure it'll be simple. Hoping to start on my notch in the next few days. Gotta start building an engine for a buddy of mine tonight.

·
S10 *****'s Youth Pastor
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got some cleanup done to the frame Sunday afternoon. Next I need to take a wire wheel to it for further clean up before I paint it.

Here's a pic of my LS1 and T-56. Can't wait to hear it fire up.:D

Has anyone used a Tick Performance master cylinder on there S10's???? I bought it for my camaro, and had it in there a few weeks before I sold it. I told the guy buying it I was pulling it out after he test drove the car unless he came up on his price.... He's been trying to buy it back since then. lol Anyways, awesome master cylinder.

·
Need LSx swap.....
4,300 Posts
FYI, thats a 98 LS1, not a 99...keep that in mind with whatever harness youre going to build/use.

·
S10 *****'s Youth Pastor
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, I forgot that it was a 98, i was going back thru some texts and saw that. But, for the life of me, I can't remember the differences. The harness is from the camaro it came out of. It's already been modified as somewhat of a standalone. It is a 3 wire hookup, 2 positive wires and 1 negative. I assume one positive is battery and one ignition. They eliminated the VATS, and the EGR, and I believe the rear O2 sensor(s). I need to plug off the intake hole and physically remove the EGR valve. I'm going to have to get some pinouts for a 98 camaro and whatever harness I'm using to tie the camaro harness into. I've got a complete dash and harness from a 96 or 97 4wd Jimmy that I just bought. I'm thinking about using that harness when I swap interiors since part of my S10 harness has been modified already. Thanks Kampz. Hey you aren't on Xbox Live are you?? I've played COD with a guy with that gamertag a few times. Anyway, thanks again.

·
Need LSx swap.....
4,300 Posts
yea the 98 was a goofy year, the only year of that style ECM; the 99-02's use the 0411 ECMs. the heads also use perimeter bolt valve covers. itll work fine, but it may be more of a challenge when it comes time to the harness.

·
S10 *****'s Youth Pastor
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hopefully the harness isn't too big of a deal. It's already been modified, just got tie it in with whatever one I decide to use. I think I'm going to order some UCA's at the end of the week. I need to put new wheel bearings up front, this should be a good time. Also, does anyone know if the brakes calipers off of a 4wd blazer bolt up to the S10?? I would love to upgrade the brakes while I am here.

·
S10 *****'s Youth Pastor
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, who do I need to talk to get some pinouts?
I have the computer and wiring harness from a 1998 camaro.
I have a 1997 s10 harness (2.2l standard trans) in my truck right now that has been somewhat modified by the P.o. and I have a 1996 4x4 jimmy harness (4.3 auto) that is untouched that i can pull when I do the dash swap.
The wiring harness on the LS1 has already been modded by 417motorsports to run. The guy I bought the engine from hooked up the harness on the stand and started it up for me. The modded ls1 harness has a VSS, fuel pump wire, fan wire, and a tach wire on it that are labeled for me to run to something. The I know that the LS1 computer has been programmed for 2 O2 sensors and the EGR is taken off along with VATS. I would like to attempt the wiring myself before I buy a harness. I'm hoping since my harness is already modified it won't be too big or an ordeal.
Thank you.

·
Need LSx swap.....
4,300 Posts
moon509 can get pinouts, not sure if he has anything prior to 98 though. for those try deathphoenix99 (i think thats his sn anyway)

·
S10 *****'s Youth Pastor
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: The Dime That Breaks ME LS1/T56 Swap

I finally got a chance to spend a couple hours on my truck tonight. I got some cleanup done on the frame and removed the passenger side UCA. Whenever I go to put the new Speedway control arms on, would you guys recommend reshimming the same way it came off?? I kept the shims in there respective numbers and orders. I'm still needing some pinouts for a 97 2.2l/5spd truck and a 1996 4wd/auto 2 door blazer. Thank You.

·
Longbeds FTMFW
8,623 Posts
You said it was a SFBD, but it doesnt look like it from the pics with the front end cleaned up. It def looks to be a trad BD. Either way, it is a good looking truck.

Either go with MMW or SD for the UCA's. I went with MMW on mine and love them.

You should be looking for Blazer 2" drop spindles. Then you can use the factory 2 piston calipers and bigger rotors. Also, your spindles are more than likely 2" drop, not 3". I've never seen 3" drop spindles. Keep up the good work man

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.