S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I've just lost the 700R4 tranny in my 1990 4.3 S15 Jimmy. But I just so happen to have a 1990 700R4 from a 1990 Corvette that is in great shape. Am I in luck? Can I swap the Corvette 700R4 with the 4.3 700R4? Has anybody ever done this swap?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

-Brandon

·
life begins @ 20 psi
672 Posts
How did you "lose" your other transmission? If it blew, be sure to flush the lines in the radiator so you don't put any sharpnel through your "new" transmission. Yes, the vette trans will bolt right up. Just be sure to adjust your TV cable: http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76136 Hope that you enjoy the neck beaking shifts :).

Mike Campbell

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike,
Thanks so much for the reply and the other forum reference.
I lost the 3-4 clutch pack.
I checked out your ride. Impressive machine.
Mine is just a N/A mule, but a useful mule that I'd rather not give up on yet!
I will do just as you suggest.
Thanks again.

-Brandon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike,
Another couple of questions. Where can I get a stronger flex plate? I'm going to use the Corvette torque converter. I tried TCI and they don't make one for the S15 4.3/700R4 combo. Also, I run nothing but synthetics from crank case to rear diff in my M3 and my Supra. They are both manual cars. I've never used a synthetic ATF in my S15. I figure it's time to start! What would you suggest. Any guidance/advice on these two questions would be much appreciated. By the way, very nice filter/cooler set up on your Syclone!
Thanks.
-Brandon

·
zippy
733 Posts
i believe the tailshaft on a corvette trans is different. the tailshaft housing is different i know, but i believe the tailshaft itself is also different. other than that it should work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello MKR,
Do you mean the splines on the main shaft of the Corvette transmission won't match the transfer case?
I'll have to check that during disassembly.
Thanks for the heads up!
-Brandon

·
life begins @ 20 psi
672 Posts
Brandon,

Thanks for the props :)! Not sure about a stouter flex plate, I would try Summit Racing or Jegs. I would NOT use any synthetic ATF made by Mobil 1... Your best bet is to use Dextron III and a bottle of lubegard. Check out this post on the syty BB: http://syty.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31733 HTH's

Mike Campbell

·
zippy
733 Posts
yeah the spline that would be going into your transfercase will likely be different. it can be changed it about an hours work though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts