S-10 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating swapping my transmission from a th350 to th400. My current set up is a 383 stroker (530 HP) with a th350, 3500 stall speed and a 7.5 inch GM rear with 4.10s. The rear is already in the process of getting replaced with a Ford 9" but now by transmission took a **** and with talking to some local transmission shops, one in particular urges me to just go to a TH400. I know the main differences, it's a electric kick down switch instead of a cable, gearing is a little smaller and it weighs much more. But am I crazy to stick with my TH350 and just get it rebuilt and made to be more bulletproof? One shop quoted me to rebuild it for $900 and put parts in it that are rated for 650+ HP. I think that is very reasonable but I know there's a long history of the TH400 being so much more bulletproof that it never breaks, I just hate having the change everything underneath for a different transmission.

Also, how much different is the trans mount location? Will I need to make a whole new crossmember to hold the transmission? I know the overall length depends on the tail shaft length, which I don't care about since the new rear I'm getting will likely lead to the driveshaft getting cut regardless. My S10 is also a 1984, if that helps at all.

Any help or suggestions is very much appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
My favorite transmission is theT400/375B
and the 4L80e
Transdapt makes a great X member

Reactions: 944v8indfw

·
Registered
1984 S15
41 Posts
Not a direct answer to your question but I went with a TH350 built by TCI that is rated for my power. My engine builder recommended it as well for my application. My motor for reference is a 434 with 600/600 HP/TQ.

I think you could go either way and be good but in the end your choice obviously.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts