S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
S-series abuser
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost 4th gear in the nv3500, so i am not even gonna mess around with it anymore. I am going to be swapping to a mildly built th350. I've done some research and havent found anything that sounds like its gonna keep me from doing it. These are the problems that i thought i might have doin this swap and how i am goin to get around them. I would like any suggestion or any feedback from anyone who wants to waste their time reading this.
1. tranny cooler- I just bought an aftermarket 15"x10" will this do the job by itself?

2.vss sensor- These guys(http://www.speedscenewiring.com/CONTACT_US.htm )told me all i would have to do is take the reluctor gear off of the nv3500 and put it on the th350 along with the vss sensor but i would have to find a way to clamp the sensor to the trannies output shaft. They told me the splines and the diameter of the output shafts were the same.

3.tranny mount- gonna have to fab something up. im sure this wont be that much of a pain in the butt. just a little cross member modification.

4.shifter-picked up a B&M z gate for dirt cheap

5.driveshaft-I think a th350 with a 9 inch tailshaft is close enough to the same length of a nv3500 to use the stock driveshaft.

As far as the other wiring for the reverse lights and neutral safety switch that shouldnt be that big of deal either. As long as the vss sensor doesnt cause me any grief i dont think this will be hard at all. Gas mileage will hurt but i dont drive the highway much. I just want a piece of mind when driving my truck hard so i dont have to worry much about the tranny. I'd like to have this done by the end of the year. I got the money for it, just need to find the time.

Sorry for the long post
Thanks dustin
97 4.3 s10

·
Registered
507 Posts
The speedometer problem may need an expensive box to adapt the cable drive to electronic.
If you haven't already got the trans you can get a short tail th350 and use a tailhousing off of a buick, olds, or pontiac th350 with a 2" speedo housing hole.
With the BOP tail housing you can get the electronic speedo stuff off a 700R4 and swap it right over to the th350 with the BOP tailhousing. But then you need a longer driveshaft so the cost might even out.

EDIT....The reluctor ring is a press fit, getting it off is going to be the problem, putting it back on is easy, it shouldn't need to be clamped. Don't break it though because that ring is way more expensive than it looks.
I'm not sure on the VSS on your old trans, if it fits into a 3/4 hole it should work in any th350. Most I have seen are for a 2" hole.

·
S-series abuser
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man im gonna look at the vss on my truck tomorrow probably when i get under their to change the o2 sensor. i appreciate any info whatsover from anybody.

thanks dustin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts