S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever put a Turbo Grandprix turbocharged 3.1 in thier S-10? Seems like someone would have done this but if no has do you think that it would be a good swap?

·
What's in a name?....
311 Posts
Are the Grand Prixs front wheel drive? If so, that's probably why no ones said anything about doing the swap. Still, if it would work out that would be awesome.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah they are fwd...i didnt even think about that. So a rwd tranny wont bolt up to a fwd block?

·
What's in a name?....
311 Posts
The issue is the mounting location of the starter. From what I've read, the bolts holes and mounting are different on FWD vehicles than RWD vehicles and so there is an alignment issue when trying to get the two to mate.
I would think they should just match up since a lot of the FWD vehicles share their engines in RWD vehicles, but I guess that starter hole just messes things up.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yup, it's the starter. Mostly.

You can redrill the flange to swap it side for side (like taking a 3.4 from a Camaro and putting it in a Fiero).

Other problem would be the turbo setup. Since it's designed for a FWD platform, all the piping would end up going under the S10 dashboard (since that's free air space above the tranny in a FWD!).

You'd have to redesign all the piping in other words... so you might as well just do that to what you've got now!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
This is quite a bit of work, and I have done it, kinda. I didn't use the complete turbo 3.1, I built my own hybrid, using an S-10 block, and a genIII 660 top end (3100), and used a larger turbo. The TGP uses a Garret T-25, I used a Garret T-3.

I had to make my own headers, and crossover pipe, down pipe, etc. Also with my set-up my grandfather made a custom crank trigger for the ignition system, for the DIS ignition. A distributer will not clear the intake.

The RWD starter location will be difficult to drill, since the "ear" on that side of the engine has a different shape to clear the FWD auto tranny, and will require a filler piece made and for best results welded to the block, to provide a flat surface to mount the starter to.

Since the intake will need to be turned around your best bet would be to use the RWD water pump, and front cover, there is still a slight machining operation needed.

For more pics go here:

http://www.domesticcrew.com/raven/James/Engine swap/

AND

http://www.domesticcrew.com/raven/James/Hybrid pics/

·
life begins @ 20 psi
672 Posts
The_Raven, VERY nice... I'm impressed :cool: !

Mike Campbell

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
SY2932 said:
The_Raven, VERY nice... I'm impressed :cool: !

Mike Campbell
Thanks. :D

·
SNAUSBERRIES!!!!
194 Posts
Hehe i just blew up one of those engines, i own a 95 Grand Prix,... a tip of advice, my engine held a 100hp wet shot of nitrous perfectly, until the day that fuel puddled in the manifold, ignited, launched my cone filter off and made it into a cemi circle, and rocketed my valves out of the retainers and into the cylinder, then rammed em back and broke on the return stroke :doh:

·
SNAUSBERRIES!!!!
194 Posts
Other than that the motor is a great one, will last forever and eats most HonDUHS for lunch as well as auto 3.8 'Maroes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts