S-10 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my trans reinstalled. "Rebuilt" 4L60e from Mark at Custom Built Transmissions in Denver.

First off, avoid this outfit like the plague. His "rebuilt" transmissions are cobbled together out of parts from a half dozen scrap cores laying around the shop, and his "2 year warranty" is worth the paper it's written on (yep, he emailed it).

Anyway, that warning aside, I has a problem.

Once I got everything installed and hooked up, it threw a P0740 code instantly upon starting it. Open circuit to the lockup solenoid.

Looks like I'm going to have to fix it myself, and I have a couple questions:

1) 1997 truck (and ECU/TCU) and a 2002? transmission. Is there any compatibility issues there I should know about before I order a new harness?

2) Is there an easy way to test ohms in the solenoid from the external plug, or better yet from the TCU plug? I wouldn't think so because of the way it's powered, but I'd sure love to be wrong :: grin ::

Thanks!
Merlyn

·
Registered
2001 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4, 4.3L automatic
61 Posts
I don’t have the answer but can show you where to find it,

These manuals can usually be found on eBay for less money. The Kent Moore tools the dealerships use are available used as well, if you want to go that crazy.

If you really want to go all out nuts there’s this:

They only look expensive until you get a quote from a shop!

The Sonnax website has some videos that you may find interesting. General knowledge stuff, but I found their series on vacuum testing the valve bodies and valves enlightening to say the least!

·
Randy
616 Posts
Sorry I'm late to this party, Here is a diag sheet for the P0740 code

Attachments

Reactions: Merlyn

·
Randy
616 Posts
Finally got my trans reinstalled. "Rebuilt" 4L60e from Mark at Custom Built Transmissions in Denver.

First off, avoid this outfit like the plague. His "rebuilt" transmissions are cobbled together out of parts from a half dozen scrap cores laying around the shop, and his "2 year warranty" is worth the paper it's written on (yep, he emailed it).

Anyway, that warning aside, I has a problem.

Once I got everything installed and hooked up, it threw a P0740 code instantly upon starting it. Open circuit to the lockup solenoid.

Looks like I'm going to have to fix it myself, and I have a couple questions:

1) 1997 truck (and ECU/TCU) and a 2002? transmission. The internal wiring is the same from 1996-2006. Is there any compatibility issues there I should know about before I order a new harness? the code is for a TCC enable solenoid.

2) Is there an easy way to test ohms in the solenoid from the external plug, or better yet from the TCU plug? I wouldn't think so because of the way it's powered, but I'd sure love to be wrong :: grin :: Yes there is. Here is a Transgo spec sheet.

Thanks!
Merlyn

Attachments

·
Randy
616 Posts
View attachment 355446
Update: I finally got a good enough look at the trans case to puzzle out the ID code:

2KCD4 268A 3138447 2KCD is from a full sized truck with an LS based engine. 5/8" deeper bell-housing for the larger 300mm converter. The wire harness will work if you need it to.

So it's a 2002, but not out of an S10. Problem? No problem?

Merlyn.

·
Randy
616 Posts

·
Been there Done it
12,767 Posts
Since the broadcast code is stamped on the main case, it is possible your rebuilder swapped a 298 MM bellhousing and inputs on it. If he hadn't I'd suspect you would have mentioned the flexplate and torque converter not lining up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts