S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 350 Vortec because it was $200 and it's a good engine but my truck has a TBI 2.8 so it would probably be alot easier to swap to a TBI 350.

Would I be able to keep my computer/wire harness if I get a TBI 350?
How much worse gas mileage would I get with TBI assuming I use an nv3500?
Would it still haul ass or just be pretty powerful?
How easy/cheap would it be to keep my engine with Vortec heads but convert it to TBI? Is it as simple as getting an aftermarket intake and an Astro van TBI unit?

·
Stock d*mnit
104 Posts
well if you have the harness and computer for the vortec id go for it...but thats me and the tbi will be easier. as for the tbi...edelbrock makes a tbi votec intake(or was that ppl used a 4 barrel with a tbi adapter plate) either way you can get her dicked...also all the 4.3, 305, and 350 tbi units are the same just different injectors and different throttle linkages

as for power and mileages...just compare them in the std. cab short bed half tons and guesstamate

oh and gmpp has a tbi to vortec heads intake too

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
man id go with the vortec if you know how to do wiring.

and either ecm you will have to have programmed for a standard transmission if it didnt have one origionally, and no your cant use your 2.8 computer, and you have to modify it for a v8 harness (doable but its not plug and play like the 4.3 harness)

·
Stock d*mnit
104 Posts
man id go with the vortec if you know how to do wiring.

and either ecm you will have to have programmed for a standard transmission if it didnt have one origionally, and no your cant use your 2.8 computer, and you have to modify it for a v8 harness (doable but its not plug and play like the 4.3 harness)
i wouldnt worry about the tbi harness..would be easy as hell to find a 4.3 harness and 350 ecm(finding one for a stick might be fun though)...and i agree with the program expecally if you use the vortec heads and possibly some mods off this if you go tbi.
http://www.tbichips.com/truckmods.htm

OH and what year is your truck..

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a 91. If I have to replace the computer and wire harness I'll just stick with the vortec. I'm pretty good with wiring so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle. What all does the wire harness connect to other than the engine and gauges?

·
Stock d*mnit
104 Posts
sensors, starter, ecm, tranny, tcase(if ya have one), grounds, fuse box...i can snap a pic of the 350 tbi engine harness i have laying around for a spare...i have it easy im swaping a 91 4.3 engine tranny and tcase for a 90 3/4 ton 350 set up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts