S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DoorDragger
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Im new to s 10s...I had a Ranger with a 302 hehe. Anyways, I just bougt a 1995 s 10 with the 4.3L Vortec 5 speed. I just joined s10 forum and have a few questions about my truck an s10s in general. First after reading a few posts i keep hearing CPI and TBI. TBI is throttle body injection if im correct but i dont know what CPI is. I think mine is the TBI.
I also wanted to know if any one knows what my HP an Torque are and what mods would be the best bang or the buck. Enginewise my truck is stock except for an Edelbrock airfilter.

·
Registered
88 Posts
CPI= Central port injection.

its easy to tell the difference between cpi and tbi a tbi will have the typical round airfilter with the throttle body in the middle. a cpi will have this big sweet looking(in my opinion) intake that looks nothing like your typical engine and i believe hp wise a tbi is 165 and a cpi is 195. im sure someone will correct me if im wrong.

all i know is my jimmy has a tbi and my friends blaze has cpi and he can haul alot more ass than i can

·
DoorDragger
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AWWW 165 lol eh well its a start. at least its not a 4 cyl. Yes mine is deffinetly the TBI. good mods?

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
numbers are pretty accurate TBI was between 150 to 165 and the cpi was 180-200
and the TBI engine has more capabillities for power not much available for the CPI

the easiest way to tell the difference is a TBI looks like a carb the CPI looks more like a direct port injection manifold

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
hm...do a search for TBI mods. there's really not a whole lot, unless you want to convert to a carb.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
uhhh yeah there is
INtake Intake manifold TBI TBI injectors new heads SC's(if you can find em) handles nitrous better and then all the other boltons... and the fuel feeds better in the TBI compared to a CPI so a built engine will run better and the TB spacer actually works... CPI yer pretty much stuck at 210 without some serious engine work or nitrous

·
DoorDragger
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea. Ive been reading hella posts this moring an what not.....wicked snowing here lol Im getting an idea of what mods are good a what arent. Thanks for the help!!!

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
uh. i totally disagree, theres a hell of a lot to do to a CPI. and TB spacers only work for truc carbs, injector size is fine for the 4.3, superchargers are pretty expensive, you have to work the new manifolds if you want to keep fuel injection, and how does the fuel "feed better" in a glorified carb compared so TPI-similar style injection? i wouldnt waste money building a TBI, id just do a V8 swap. and im not going to say anything else, cuz this shouldnt deteoriate into a flame war. also, S-series trucks NEVER came with a 210 hp CPI, that was only full-size trucks.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
cpi is nowhere near similar to TPI and i never said they did said that about the max you are going to get out of them as in with boltons and ish... and your a moron to think a TB spacer doesnt work on a tbi what is the difference between a carb and a tbi? the fuel injectores everythign else is the similzar and the fuel on both is fed above the spacer... and yes it does work... and there are 0 options for intake manifolds for the CPI that i have seen and i know of at least 2 easily accessible for the TBI and there are better TBI's available not to mention you can go cheap and bore out the stock manifold and put a larger tb form the 454 on it
and CPI is known to have problems with the spider where the TBI works the same as a carb
still wondering where you are getting the idea you need to work the manifold for tbi... Holley makes 2 4.3 and edlebrock makes 1 one of those requires a spacer to go from Carb to tbi but its already ready for 96+ vortec heads...

and yes SC's are expensive but so is nitrous and building an engine... the CPI doesnt take nitrous as well and i have never seen a SC other than 1 that was a custom kit made by i wanna say powerdyne specifically for that employee... never available to the public

·
2nd place is the1st loser
238 Posts
i wouldn't waste money building a TBI
Now I wouldn't say that at all.In stock form the cpi was the better choice for fuel economy and its heads and cam package.But you can do alot more for a TBI and keep the ecm happy.As for intakes Holley makes 2,CFM tech has 1.Edelbrock has 3 different ones.One is a direct TBI style bolt up for older heads like tbi and cpi.The other 2 both need an adapters from a carb to TBI.But 1 of them can be used on 96 up heads.I have used this intake on the newer heads.The combo makes real good power even close to redline.Whipple does make s/c for TBI's.They are pricey but not much more than late model s/c's.A TBI can be tuned somewhat like a carb.Using different injector setups and different bored throttlebodies to supply more air and fuel to a modified engine.You can run a more aggressive cam with out the ecm throwing a fit to.There are several chips you can get for the TBI programming.You can get different nitrous setups for a TBI to.The advantages of a TBI is that it was used in all kinds of applications besides 4.3's.So there are several aftermarket products aimed at TBI's in general.

·
CHEVROLET COUNTRY \/6
560 Posts
I wanna know where i can get some performance stuff for my TBI like performance injectors.

·
2nd place is the1st loser
238 Posts
http://www.cfm-tech.com/catalog/ This sight has a whole lot of stuff for TBI's.They have the best TBI to Carb intake adapter made.Its the one I used on the Edelbrock intake for late model heads.The next thing I am doing to my engine is late model heads.I did a mild p/p for a buddy on the newer heads with the Edelbrock intake.We used the cfm-tech adapter to be able to keep the TBI setup.It is a great combo all around.Add a good cam to the line up and you have a TBI to reckon with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts