S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i been hearin lot about these.
will one of these cool my 355 with out any other fans? i have an engine drivin now with 2 small e fans as back up and that works fine,

·
Registered
507 Posts
It depends on how radical the engine is, I used a taurus 3.8 liter fan NOT the 3.0 liter, it cooled my 355 perfect in all situations in the hot florida summers.
The engine I had in my '87 had vortec heads, 268XE comp cam, performer rpm intake and 600 edelbrock carb, it had 9.7:1 compression. It would run mid 12's in the 1/4 mile.

It's a whole different story if you have A/C. I put a/c in the truck at one time and it would not keep the engine or the a/c condenser cool at low speeds. I even tried the most aggresive engine driven fan with a full shroud, I eventually took the a/c out.

It has the corvette radiator in the forward position.

Also due to the fact that this fan draws 30-35 amps you will need to upgrade to a 105 amp or more alternator if you don't already have one. It won't charge with the lights and fan on with an old style 65 amp alt. The 105 alt I used came off a late 80's to mid 90's full size. The one with the bolt holes 180 degrees apart bolt right up to the older style brackets.

·
General L33
1,947 Posts
no, i ran that same fan on my 97 during the cooler months and it did fine, sold it to a guy w/ a 4 banger, and he couldn't keep it cool with that during the summer.

i would suggest camaro fans or flex-a-lites. running the 210s on my LT1 s-10, only time it even got warm was when I did about 20 donuts in a row, soon as I got it back out on the road, it cooled right back down.

·
-------------------------
100 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts