S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having a leak from my transmission drip pan and after tightening the bolts around the drip pan, it stopped. My problem is I have about an extra quart of fluid in the system and now when I start it after it's been sitting for a 6 hours or more, it delays shifting into 2nd gear a bit. After a minute or so of driving, it's fine. Could this be due to over filling or should I be worried about my transmission failing.

Also, without dropping the pan, how can I remove the extra AT fluid? I know there's a coolant tube that runs from the transmission to the radiator, but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
If it's over full, your lucky it moves at all. It's easy to screw up a trans with too much fluid, so get it out and at the right level. If you don't have a drain in your trans pan, you can get a long piece of hose and go in the filler tube and suction it out, or open the line on the passenger side at the radiator like you said.

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
having extra fluid in a tranny causes it to foam.

you need to get it out.

One other thing. Since its getting cooler the tranny will take longer to shift. it is programmed to do this to raise the fluid temp faster. This is assumong you have a 4l60e tranny

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
theres two steel lines 5/16" diameter to the radiator tank

ones at top

and ones at bottom

its pretty straight forward..

if its not then maybe you should take your truck to a mechanic?

before something bad happens?

the trans fluid level is most accurate after the trans is warmed up good.

if the fluid is foamy on the stick then this is not good... dont drive it if there are bubbles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up siphoning the fluid out of the dipstick. It was very easy and I didn't need to worry about unplugging anything, just slipped it down, began the siphon and waited... It's very slow this way. The fluid, which I believe is coming from the bottom of the pan (?) was very dark in color. I pulled enough out to get the fluid level correct but it still slips for about the first 3-5 minutes of driving between 2nd and 3rd gear; after that it runs just as good as it ever has. I'm off this week so I'm going to try and siphon as much out as I can then refill with fresh fluid and see if that helps. If not, it's off to the shop I go.

Any ideas what could cause slipping only on a cold start?

·
Registered
473 Posts
low line pressure maybe?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had the level correct for a week or so and it's still slipping in the morning. I tried letting it sit in neutral for a few minutes first and it didn't seem to help. Here is the routine. I start it up and it will go into reverse no problem. Shift into drive no problem. going from 1st to 2nd it just stays in 2nd and the RPMS go up. it will then shift into 2nd. Then the same thing between 2nd and 3rd. By the time it'd gotten up to third it generally starts shifting fine. If I let it sit for more than about 3-4 hours, I have to go through it all again. I read several possibilities. internal pump not working, TC valve broken, and low line pressure. Any ideas to narrow it down? Also about what are the costs of each? I'm considering trading it in and taking the hit on the value.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts