S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Customz
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm swapping to tall spindles for a brake upgrade, just wondering what do I have to swap the upper arm to?

Can't seem to find any info on the search, or it just doesn't like me, one of the two.

thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you're talking about the B-body spindle swap, you'll need at least:

- B-body spindles with brakes
- Shorter upper a-arms (aftermarket - Global West, Hotchkis, SPC adjustable, etc.)
- Camaro 1LE 12" hubs/rotors (to get back to a 5 on 4.75 bolt pattern - B-body is 5 on 5)

The B-body spindle swap is a mixed bag. Yes you get bigger brakes; yes it improves camber gain in corners; but it greatly increases the already bad bumpsteer in our trucks; and if you have ABS you'll have to lose it since the 1LE rotors don't have ABS reluctors. I looked into it and decided it wasn't worth the tradeoffs.

A guy named Ed sells some very nice brake upgrade packages that will work on our spindles. He posts on S-SeriesForum.com. See this:

http://www.s-seriesforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71837

This thread also features some of his work:

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f14/s10-blazer-xtreme-c6-z06-corvette-brakes-289013/

For suspension improvements check out the tall ball joint street comp packages at:

http://www.scandc.com/index.htm

Also see their FAQ for more info about the B-body tradeoffs.

For the ultimate, SC&C sells the AFX tall spindles with Corvette C5 hubs that will take either C5 or C6 brakes. Search for posts by ZZ4Blazer here; he has the AFX C6 setup. $$$$$

I'm looking to do the AFX spindles with C5 brakes, but I have to work out how to do it without losing my ABS.

Good luck.

James

·
Customz
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was planning to go to tall spindles with the C5 setup, and I plan to get rid of my ABS already.

was looking into the Kore3 Big Brake Kit and you can only use forged short spindles, so I was gonna use Drop Tall Spindles and do the C5 setup.

·
s-series #2?
2004 Blazer ZR2 w/ nv3500, 5.3 LM4 swap
24,783 Posts
if you need more info try the sus/steeering section as well. seems theres more traffic there imo

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
plan on spending 500+ on uppers from global west.

i have a set for my monte carlo, along with B-body spindles and Stainless Steel Brake Corp 2 piston aluminum calipers. total on uppers a-arms, lower a-arms, calipers, rotors, etc...

500 for calipers,
500 for uppers,
400 lowers,
bearings, seals, rotors, etc... 150

1500 bucks total, but it looks good, and works perfect.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
i may end up getting a different setup and putting all that on my truck now.

i want 4 piston 12" rotors on the front, but i am not sure it will clear 15" wheels

and i know my current setup will clear my wheels on my monte carlo ss

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was planning to go to tall spindles with the C5 setup, and I plan to get rid of my ABS already.

was looking into the Kore3 Big Brake Kit and you can only use forged short spindles, so I was gonna use Drop Tall Spindles and do the C5 setup.
If the "Drop Tall Spindles" are drop spindles for a b-body or similar, see comments above and at SC&C FAQ. You'd be better off using a short drop spindle converted to C5 brakes and an SC&C tall ball joint kit. Either way you are going to need shorter upper a-arms.

I took a look at the Kore3 website. Looks like they have nice products and fair prices. Their billet hubs look very nice. However, they oversimplify things a little with their list of tall and short spindle applications, as there are differences between many of the tall spindles they list, as well as differences in the short spindles they list. If you start swapping in things from other applications, be prepared to deal with different ball joint tapers, bump steer problems, etc. Might be worth a call to them for some detailed advice.

If you don't care about geometry/handling improvements and you just want C5 brakes on a drop spindle, get some Belltech drop spindles and modify them for a C5 brake kit from Ed Miller (and keep the ABS if you want it). If you want the handling improvement, add the tall ball joint kit or the AFX spindle. Just my humble opinion.....

Good luck,

James

·
Registered
696 Posts
I am in the middle of the swap right now. I went this route for cheap replacement parts (b-body calipers re like $20 a pop) getting the global west arms (lifetime bushings on them and cheaper than hotchkis) everything is new for my setup (but spindles) they will give a 3/4" drop and are 3/8" wider per side.

so a 2" drop spindle for a B-body should give you almost 3" total drop!!

I went with plain 1LE rotors and calipers and all for now. figrued when I switc to drop spindles in a couple years (when my next brake service is due) that I would maybe swap to the drop setup then while I have it apart.

another plus for me was fitting 15" wheels still so I can run my stockers in winter fwith some better tires than the Z rated 19's on the truck now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts