S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m doing an LS Swap, so trying make things right so there good to go for awhile. I want to lift my cab off the frame so can clean and paint the frame. What’s the best way to get it off without a car lift? It’s an 1995 ext cab 2 wd

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where do you rig the cab? Other than from the bottom. How heavy you think it weighs? Has both doors still on and the dash is still mounted.

·
Been there Done it
7,132 Posts
Roll the windows down and stick a 4x4 across. It never hurts to use something like a movers blanket on each side between the 4x4 and the top window frame and folded over to keep the chain across from scratching the roof. I'd even put a short 2x4 between the chain and the blanket so the chains tension isn't all in one spot.
Better yet, use 2 4x4's chained parallel about 6" apart so the upper one can act as a spreader bar. I'd guess 4-500# on an ext cab, depending on what all is still attached. Remove the seats. Especially power ones as they can be quite heavy.
Dash isn't very heavy. It'll be stronger and less apt to distort with the doors on and shut tight.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I was just scared of bending the roof and top of the door by lifting it off that way. The cab is completely empty accept for the dash, steering column, and doors. I disconnected the steering at the gearbox.

·
time to get cereal
2,287 Posts
The steering column is super easy to remove, good way to get some weight off of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts