S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
NO H-body, New Dime
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could anyone do or tell me how hard it is to take out the whole dash. I want to tweed it or paint it and I am worried about the airbag and all the wires behind the dash. Any help would be appreciated. Is it worth it?

·
TANgo
136 Posts
when i did it i took way to many bolts out. The main ones are the one by the parking break, in front of the vent by winshilked, 1 in each speaker and the one on the passenger door. Those in my opion are the biggest. Then there is a bounch of little things. Leave the stearing collum allone. in my 2000 noma it almost sits on hooks. once it is unbolted it rotates for u. After that u would see a bracket wich holds the wires that runs from the parrenger under the radio inder the gauges and to the fuse box. I found out that that stays in the car but detaches fron dash. Its hard to explain. I have pics of process, just plan on not driving the next day because it is timely and doooooo take your time

·
True Ambition
3,527 Posts
I thought it was quite a project and there were many many bolts an screws. I didnt put them all back in either when i put it back together:jawdrop:

Have fun!! Good luck!!

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
LowTech said:
I thought it was quite a project and there were many many bolts an screws. I didnt put them all back in either when i put it back together:jawdrop:

Have fun!! Good luck!!
yeah theres no need for most of them

·
NO H-body, New Dime
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about the airbag? I know it has to be mounted somehow and it looks like there is a bracket behind it holding up the....I don't know what it is behind the glove box. What did u guys do with it?

·
True Ambition
3,527 Posts
No help from me here.....i took my airbag out wit hno intertions of putting it back in...which was quite a chore anyway....but i kinda hacked it out :2far:

·
NO H-body, New Dime
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LowTech said:
No help from me here.....i took my airbag out wit hno intertions of putting it back in...which was quite a chore anyway....but i kinda hacked it out :2far:
Wonder what your insurance company thought about that.:evilg:

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
futuresweets10 said:
Thats funny. If GM put them there then they need to be there. Some of them do seem quite pointless (and I have left countless bolts out too) but they really should be in there.
whats funny about it? there is only a few bolts that really HAVE to be there, but depending on how the truck is going to be used..

SHOW - use only what u HAVE to
DAILY - use them ALL

·
Token Bald Guy
743 Posts
now look. how can you possibly know you did it right if you have to use all the bolts. I think i have yet to do a full project and have used all the bolts.

it cuts down on the weight. hahah

we had something like 30 some screws left over when i tweeded the dash and everything. we ended up covering a bunch of the holes and then when it was time to put it back in, we had to feel around for the main ones. i have yet for something to fall off or make any noise.

·
Registered
157 Posts
all in all it took me four hours to remove my dash but the best part is its only costing me a bill to get it painted down here in texas

1 - 16 of 16 Posts