S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys....a couple of questions.....

1. How the hell do u take the bed off??? How many bolts, and where r they located???

2. How do u cut the crossmember so the drive shaft doesnt hit??? Can i just air my truck up....and take a Sawzall to the crossmember to cut a notch cuz my driveshaft hits when laid out.

Thanks.....WILLIE

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright thanks....where r they located tho...on the frame??? ANd also....when i notch the gas tank crossmember....just a Sawzall will get the work done right??? I'm gunna do this tomorrow so i can be laying by SUnday for Octoberfest.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also...if u guys have any pics of the gas tank crossmember notched...that'd be great....thanks!!!! WILLIE

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's an extended cab......the driveshaft hits the crossmember....and my frame is still about 2" from laying....so i dunno....the member looks pretty thick..so hopefully i can notch alot.....and to reinforce do i just weld a piece on the top to make it stronger???? Any pics guys??? that would be a help....hopefully i can find these damn bolts for the bed.

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
8 bolts...not 6. 4 down each frame rail. you also have to undo the taillight harness at the end of the frame. Also the gas filler neck needs to be un bolted.

You can't miss the first 2 bolts on each side of the frame for the bed. As far as the other two. There are holes in the bottom of the frame for you to stick a socket extension on to to get to the bolts. Just use your eyes and look around. As far as notching. Notch about 1.5-2" outta it. If you got some extra steel...reinforce it. If not...go buy some and reinforce it. OR...spend some extra money and buy the suicidedoors.com x-member.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright thanks SlammedDime...i'll check out the and find all the bolts for the bed. As far as the crossmember.....ur sure that 2" will clear the driveshaft and ai'll lay out? Thanks for the help guys.

WILLIE

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
2" at the x-member should get you about 4" at the tire. And if you're only 2" from layin, that will work. And you should have about 1" left before the driveshaft hits the top of your notch.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright...good point about 2" giving me another 4" at the tire...i sucked in Geometry and those angles and crap. But anyways....we got the bed off...peice of cake..i feel stupid for asking how to do it in the first place....but now i know. Thanks guys for the help

·
Banned
18,005 Posts
02sonoma said:
i'm baggin my truck and the bed is off...the grounds arent connected but it still starts...the grounds are just for the taillights, no biggie.

dan
that's funny. the ground on the passenger side is for the tails. the ground on the driver's side is your fuel pump. i don't know how it starts, but i know mine didn't start without the ground bolted on the driver's side.

·
former title junky mod
6,494 Posts
SlammedDime said:
8 bolts...not 6. 4 down each frame rail. you also have to undo the taillight harness at the end of the frame. Also the gas filler neck needs to be un bolted.

You can't miss the first 2 bolts on each side of the frame for the bed. As far as the other two. There are holes in the bottom of the frame for you to stick a socket extension on to to get to the bolts. Just use your eyes and look around. As far as notching. Notch about 1.5-2" outta it. If you got some extra steel...reinforce it. If not...go buy some and reinforce it. OR...spend some extra money and buy the suicidedoors.com x-member.
I would IM you but im not on my coumpter and this one dosent have aim. If I relocate my gas tank can I just take the crossmember out. I know wr have talked bout htis before but I dont know if this question has come up, thanks. BTW, I have a freind who works at a shop and he thinkgs he can get me the "spicers" at cost

·
Registered
14,881 Posts
you can remove the crossmember itself, if you have a bridge kit, you will be fine with out the cross member, but if you dont, it would be wise to make some sort of new crossmember to replace it. the frame needs its members to keep it from flexing and twisting.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alright guys...thanks for all the help so far on this....i finally was able to notch the crossmember and i had a friend weld a peice of pipe in there to make the cut a smooth round notch....looks pretty good to...haha...it's SlammedDime was right about cutting 1" and getting 2" at the wheel....haha..i have a big ass notch now. But it's good...late...WILLIE

1 - 20 of 24 Posts