S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
@WirthDesign
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys.. I have a 97 Sonoma and I am having trouble getting my door apart so I thought I'd ask how before I mess something up. I got a pic I made in a graphics program that I hope I can upload with this post. I am trying to cover the top half of my door with some fabric. I'd like to know if i have to take the window crank off.

Attachments

·
@WirthDesign
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do I need to buy a special tool or can I make one out of a coat hanger and some needle nose pliars?

·
!! TALK NOW !!
4,910 Posts
You need a special tool. Some may be able to do it with out it. BUt it is tricky. Even with the tool. Just go to a body repair store and ask them for the tool to get the window crank key out. It is like a mini c "key" push back the door panel and look down there. You will see it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
How hard is it to get off without this "special tool" I need to get my cover off in order to replace the mirrors.

·
Farmers Fancy
46 Posts
you can get the crank off without the special tool but it is a pain in the ass you take two screwdrivers and go under the crank and push up holding then about a half inch apart it is kind of hard to hit both of them especially since you cant see. i did it this way once the next time i just rode in town to the dealer and got one of the mechanics to pop them off for me benifits of a small town also you probably have a screw behind the door handle that you need to take out and two under the arm rest at least on the 98 i dont know about yours latter

·
True Ambition
3,527 Posts
:boom: I didn't use a tool...you just need to push on the plastic far enough to get a screw driver in there and pop out the little "oddly shapped u" clip holding it on. Watch out though out you'll shoot yer eye out! :bugeye:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Man that has to be the stupidest design I've ever seen. I don't see no stickin "C" clip or "B" clip or any other kind of clip behind that handle. Is it behind that black cushion stuff, or is it between the handle and that big plactic washer like thing that's between the handle and the panel? I just don't even see anything to even try to unclip. I've seen the clips in the store so I'll know it when I see it, but so far, I don't see it. All this and the mirror itself will only take a few minutes to install.

·
loco hombre
3,461 Posts
LowTech has the right idea -- my 96 handle came off the same way. Just pushed the plastic section in as fast as I could to give a lil extra room, and took a long thin flat screwdriver and popped that c-clip type thing out.

I put a new one on from the HELP! section at Autozone, and it lasted maybe 6 weeks before the round handle part broke off. Go figure!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I can push the plastic part in, but I can't see the clip to even try to pop it out. I'm unsure of exactly where the clip is located. This really sux. I'm that close to replacing the mirror and one little clip is stopping me. I have to give it a break or that damn handle will get broke...then I'll have two things to fix

·
Registered
150 Posts
We have succeeded. Victory is ours..I mean mine...ok, so someone else noticed my struggles and popped it out in about 5 minutes. The most important thing is to accomplish the mission. Now if you all will excuse me, I must do just that, for the main reason was not just to remove that handle, it was to replace the mirror...haha Thank for all the advice...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well, the mirror is on, but now I can't get the stupid manual lock/unlock lever to work. Any one know how to line it up. It's not catching the piece inside the door. Man it thing would have been alot easier to let Pep Boys do it....

·
Registered
150 Posts
If it were only that simple. I'm afraid if I start smacking it and it don't go, I might start to smack a little too hard. I'll go out and try it once I get off work. That way I'm not in a rush like yesterday. I did however find one of those tools used to take out that C clip. I'll get one before doing the mirror on the passenger side. Pep Boys has alot of those so called "special tools"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts