S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a used 4.3L with 80k miles about a week ago to drop in my 2000 so I could get it back on the road sooner, I started working on it yesterday swapping parts over and getting it prepped to drop in. The engine is a 2000 as well, came out of a 4x4 s10. So, I swapped a bunch of my parts onto it that were in better condition, swapped my flywheel and clutch, and then went to swap my 2wd oilpan on....I was soon greeted by an oil pump pickup completely caked in that ever so familar Wendy's Frosty substance, telltale sign of a previously or more than likely a still blown headgasket :rant:

The good thing is that there is a 6 month warranty on the engine that I paid $575 for, so I took tomorrow off and I'm going to return this heap of junk ASAP. After this I no longer have faith in any motor that is used and from a junkyard, so I think that I am going to piece back together my original engine reusing most of the oem parts. The motor only had 60k on it, what I am wondering is if anyone sees a problem with reusing the stock pistons and just putting new rings on them and bearings throughout the entire engine itself? Should I get the crank turned as a precaution? Anything else I should be careful/aware of when putting this thing back together?

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
18,047 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad luck Mike. You will be fine just reringing the old pistons, as far as the crank goes... look over it carefully, lookfor nicks and such, check the bearings too. If you have a Mic it would be a good time to bust it out. if things look alright you should be fine. As long as you did regular maintanance it should be good to go.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Yeah that definitely sucks man. Can never trust those damn boneyards! But like he said you should be fine. I mean there wasn't that many miles on it when you pulled it.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1fast4by said:
Sorry to hear about your bad luck Mike. You will be fine just reringing the old pistons, as far as the crank goes... look over it carefully, lookfor nicks and such, check the bearings too. If you have a Mic it would be a good time to bust it out. if things look alright you should be fine. As long as you did regular maintanance it should be good to go.
Thanks man, yeah I'm going with all new bearings on the mains and rods anyways, I will inspect the crank carefully before I make a decision on whether it should be turned or not. I did oil changes every 3-4k ever since I've owned the truck, the cylinder bores look real good as is and everything was really clean so I should be all set. One other thing of concern, when the parts were in storage in my parents garage, the garage itself got flooded a little bit and my comp cam has some surface rust on the lobes and bearings...I cleaned one lobe up real quick yesterday with some wd40 and scotchbrite and it looks like it will be ok but I'm not sure, what do you guys think?

Dan yeah I know, the engine only has 60k on it, so the parts are really in great shape.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
18,047 Posts
MINTSICK said:
Thanks man, yeah I'm going with all new bearings on the mains and rods anyways, I will inspect the crank carefully before I make a decision on whether it should be turned or not. I did oil changes every 3-4k ever since I've owned the truck, the cylinder bores look real good as is and everything was really clean so I should be all set. One other thing of concern, when the parts were in storage in my parents garage, the garage itself got flooded a little bit and my comp cam has some surface rust on the lobes and bearings...I cleaned one lobe up real quick yesterday with some wd40 and scotchbrite and it looks like it will be ok but I'm not sure, what do you guys think?

Dan yeah I know, the engine only has 60k on it, so the parts are really in great shape.
well, things ought to be fine. Was the crank in the block? or did you store it upright? if at all posible try not to have the crank ground...

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1fast4by said:
well, things ought to be fine. Was the crank in the block? or did you store it upright? if at all posible try not to have the crank ground...
The crank was out of the block, the rear main has a little bit of surface rust on it but the mains and rod mains look pretty good to me.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
18,047 Posts
Ehh, i trust that you'll be fine, you know what your doing. to bad it wont be a forged cammed shortblock...but all good things will come

·
Got Fuel Rails?
4,539 Posts

·
it looks stock.. kinda..
638 Posts
Is there any crosshatch in the bores left? At 60k, I would think that you would need to give the bores a quick buzz with a hone so the new rings will seat properly.

Teeleton

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
rat said:
Did you ever figure out what your tick was?

It may have been related to this: http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3015828&postcount=149
I assume it was the retainers hitting due to the tight clearance after the cam swap, I am ordering the recommended 7808 comp pushrods listed on their website along with the high energy lifters. I am also taking the heads to be cut and maybe a mild 3 angle valve job while I am at it since I really don't think that I will ever pull this motor apart again :rant:

teeleton said:
Is there any crosshatch in the bores left? At 60k, I would think that you would need to give the bores a quick buzz with a hone so the new rings will seat properly.

Teeleton
You know the bores look pretty good actually, I can still see some crosshath left but I agree, I will give the bores a quick buzz with the hone my dad has. Now, should I just go with a stock replacement set of rings or do you think there is a better alternative out there?

·
it looks stock.. kinda..
638 Posts
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...400393+4294791253+4294891085+115&autoview=sku

I have these in my motor, and it's the 2nd build I've done with them. The previous build lasted 30k before stock distributor gave up and ran the chewed up teeth through the motor. During tear down I noticed that some of the rings had migrated around and the gaps had lined up in the rings. :dunno:

Since my current motor is fairly low milage, I wasn't too worried about this time. The nearly two years I've had it in the blazer now it only has about 4k miles on it. They're fairly expensive, but for what everything else ran me... eh.... what's another couple c-notes? ;)

Teeleton

1 - 11 of 11 Posts