S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is better when traveling on the highway for extended distances or does it really matter. I aways thought that having it down reduced the drag, but some poloce with pull you over for that. The other option would be to remove it and use one of those little net things, but then I'd have to put it back on to use the bed and then off again when I'm coming back....Well you get the picture. So which is better or does it make alot of difference?

·
Horsepower Fiend
151 Posts
I honestly dont thnk it makes a difference. I tried both one weekend and the mileage was pretty close to the same. But some people will tell you to put it down. Just be careful of the idiot people not paying attention to what they are doing and run into your laid down tailgate

·
Registered
148 Posts
it's not the tailgate, really thats the problem, it's the air coming over the roof and swirling behind the cab of the truck that is the problem (granted a big slab of metal in the way of the moving air doesn't help) the tailgate might get you 1/2 mile per gallon, at the risk of a ticket (atleast in ct, ny, and many others) and it weakens the sides of the bed from vibration and turbulance, and you can get your tailgate bashed in.... imo... not worth it.

fyi thats why a tonneau cover gets you 1-2mpg, not solely because of the tailgate but more so becaue of the turbulance behind the cab is reduced by 50% and you've knocked the whole tailgate issue out too.

-hammer

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't mind a tonnage cover but I have box rails on the sides and therefor cannot put one on.

·
Registered
148 Posts
yeah you can, flush mount, they probably won't hit cause the lip on say a checkmate flush mount cover is only like 1/8th to 1/4 inch overhang.... that should clear your rails?

-hammer

·
GMtruckHQ
2,894 Posts
maybe just remove the tailgate and put it inside your truck till you need it... dont know if its legal or not but sounds fine to me.. or you could just wrap some vinyl across the bed from rail to rail

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've determined that taking the tailgate off would be too much trouble since I would have to put it back on once I reach my destination and repeat that process at least two more times. However, draping a tarp over it might have the same affect as a cover. Hell, it's not that big of a deal, I was just wondering about it. Thanks for the input though

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can live with that explanation...looks like it's tailgate up for me....That's why I like this site...someone has an answer somewhere...

·
GMtruckHQ
2,894 Posts
hmmm

·
Cheezeit9
364 Posts
If you are wanting a cover, I would suggest a retracable cover by pace edwards, and get the Jackrabbit model, its very small and sits flush. I know quite a few people with these and they love them. Just a suggestion. I will get one on my next truck. Heres the link if you are interested..http://www.paceedwards.com/jackrabbit.asp

1 - 14 of 14 Posts