S-10 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after turning my 2nd tailgate into a v fro. Weight. Im using hole saw at top and sliping a 1.5 inch chromoly pipe in and welding the ends. Few drill holes and sport welds along the top. Dang GM junk lol

·
Been there Done it
7,120 Posts
I think what he is talking about is what happens when you set a complete 454 in the middle of the tailgate when it is open with none of the weight being supported by the bed floor. It bends, duh.
So if you are planning to drive around with a safe strapped to your tailgate, stick a piece of pipe inside it first.
Or when loading the truck put the heavy stuff in the bed and let the lighter stuff sit on the tailgate, duh.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I slid a complete LS1 with the transmission off one truck to another backed up tailgate to tailgate. Looking back at it I was very lucky a tailgate cable didn't break.
The tailgate didn't deform at all. Dang GM garbage. Maybe it's a factory freak with more SPORT welds.

I'm curious to know whats being put in the bed. Sure you can SPORT weld some pipe inside the tailgate, if thats the kind of shit work you do. then what about the cables? and cable mounts? How will those be rigged to hold the weight?

·
Registered Offender
639 Posts
It's just a tailgate. There are more in wrecking yards, and with less than a gallon of Bondo many of then can be made presentable.

·
Blown ex ***
5,710 Posts

·
Self banned
228 Posts
S10 cables break with great regularity. Some years had a recall.
That's scary. Mine were cut when I bought the truck so I replaced with aftermarket. I've loaded my motorcycles into the truck quite a few times with the loading ramp sitting on the outer edge of the tailgate. The heavier of the two bikes is about 475 pounds plus my 185 pounds.

Sounds like I need to deal with this in some way before it bites me.

·
Registered
913 Posts
From what I've noticed if the cables have been replaced by a GM dealer they will be held to the latch with a torx head bolt. If they were replaced by someone else they will be held to the latch with a 5/16 bolt or some kind of hex headed pin with a c-clip on the inside. If they are held on the latch by rivets they have never been replaced (unless the rivets have been hammered on).

But thats just purely speculation on my part, which we all know is worthless and I just wasted my time typing this.

·
Blown ex ***
5,710 Posts
i will have to check mine. but my truck has spent most of its life in a garage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts