S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking at buyin a tailgate skin and im wondering how they mock up on the truck. Do they just weld overplace of the existing tailgate? Also, are they flat across or do they have the indent near the tail lights like the OEM tailgates do? Thanks guys.

·
DOOR'D FOR HER PLEASURE!
5,688 Posts
most ive seen are braced with sum sort of steel, "1x1 boxed or 3/4" boxed across from one tail to the other, building support to help flex, and attatch the combo to. also welding to the filler plates replacing any gaps from the original. and finally gusseting the corners so it doesnt crack the new paint, cuz ive seen amillion of these as well. without sum sort of gusseting, thew corners will flex and crack with the movement of ther bedsides.
cliff notes: remove tailgate, weld solidly, gusset for support, DRAG IT OFF!!!

·
bag it. drop it. drag it.
236 Posts
theres a few ways to do this... a tailgate skin does not cover the whole tailgate it only covers the indent to make it all look smooth... now if you still want a functional tailgate that is the way to go and you just have to flip your handle to the inside of the bed... if you are looking to shave it into your bed then buy a full skin combo (tailgate/rollpan) this totally replaces the tailgate and welds into the sides, usuall there is little to moderate modification (depending on where it is ordered from) now when you do this you will have to run bracing on the inside of the skin... also there is the "ghetto fabulous" way of shaving which involes just the tailgate skin and welding the full tailgate into the bed to smooth it all out...

·
236 Posts
it's not ghetto when your leaving the whole gate in, shaving it and welding it shut if your welding it all in sold and need the weight in the back end
yeah a tailgate adds a little weight but if you're bagged you added more weight to that back... if you're not baggd then i dont see y you would really want to delete your gate in the first place.... besides purpose you have an open bed... u bag it your not usin that bed for much lol plus its already low enough to throw shit in there then

·
BLACK DEATH
1,003 Posts
yeah a tailgate adds a little weight but if you're bagged you added more weight to that back... if you're not baggd then i dont see y you would really want to delete your gate in the first place.... besides purpose you have an open bed... u bag it your not usin that bed for much lol plus its already low enough to throw shit in there then
for me I'm not bagged, 6/7 static with 3" BD (so the bed of mine is pretty much useless anyways) and a very healthy 360

·
236 Posts
for me I'm not bagged, 6/7 static with 3" BD (so the bed of mine is pretty much useless anyways) and a very healthy 360

thats kool... well it all does come down to preference though... i would never consider welding in a tailgate to smooth it out... but thats just me

·
236 Posts
if I wasn't worried about traction issues I would have just skinned it
well really you could just alter your suspension a little bit for traction issues and also move some weight to the back like a fuel cell and relocate your battery to the bed also help even out the ft/bk weight a little bit

·
BLACK DEATH
1,003 Posts
well really you could just alter your suspension a little bit for traction issues and also move some weight to the back like a fuel cell and relocate your battery to the bed also help even out the ft/bk weight a little bit
1. 7" drop out back so not much I can do there
2. fuel tank is in the back
3. pair of batteries are already in the back

1 - 15 of 15 Posts