S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
LS2OMFG
11,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a few months I plan on shaving my handles and tailgate, but I was thinking about putting a popper in the tailgate with some sort of cable attatched to it so when I popped the tailgate there would be some resistance and the gate would glide down to it's resting position. The cable would be on some sort of a spring loaded wheel so when I lift it back up (by hand) it would just reel it in without a hitch and I was just curious if anyone has done this or seen it before?

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
I've never seen it done.

I was planning on mine just to have the button so I could pop it at the tailgate but what your talking about sounds sweet.

I have seen the motorized ones though at autoloc and the ones that act like a spoiler.

·
sold the dime :(
4,586 Posts
just make some braces for it to open sideways like a door then put a door popper. then id love to see it. i dont want to see one open normal. be sweet opening like a door.

·
LS2OMFG
11,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's an idea but the only thing is that I do use my truck for utility purposes from time to time, if I had to leave my gate down I couldn't do it if it swung outwards like that. As far as the cable latch idea goes, I'm thinking maybe the units for a fold down trailer door would do the trick. They are made for a much heavier door and maybe the tailgate would weigh just enough to make it glide down nice and easy.

·
Can Yah Hear That China!
924 Posts
they have a kit for that. the kit also has a preset and for 'highway driving' a kind of spoiler effect i guess. i saw the kit on Trucks a while back, i think it won an award at SEMA or something a couple years back for best new product.

·
LS2OMFG
11,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HelloS10 said:
they have a kit for that. the kit also has a preset and for 'highway driving' a kind of spoiler effect i guess. i saw the kit on Trucks a while back, i think it won an award at SEMA or something a couple years back for best new product.
A spoiler?? That doesn't sound anything like what I'm thinking of. Do you have a link or anything?

·
Registered
816 Posts
i did it! about a month ago tho.. it works out really nice i had to make a nice pivot and a lever but its cool

·
Can Yah Hear That China!
924 Posts
i dont mean an actual spoiler, the tailgate just angels down a bit, its controled by an actuator, im searching for a link.

(come one guys i know someone else had to see this on the Trucks awhile back!)

·
Registered
816 Posts
i'll try tonite.. i have to find the cord for my digi cam. Im still looking for the right shock absorber to use so it doesnt just slam down. Think hydralic hatch thing.. wtf is it called.. there is one mounted on the bottom side of the gate with a lever going to underside of the bed

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ralphie said:
In a few months I plan on shaving my handles and tailgate, but I was thinking about putting a popper in the tailgate with some sort of cable attatched to it so when I popped the tailgate there would be some resistance and the gate would glide down to it's resting position. The cable would be on some sort of a spring loaded wheel so when I lift it back up (by hand) it would just reel it in without a hitch and I was just curious if anyone has done this or seen it before?
Hey man nice, idea...I thought about the same thing. I have a truck accessory shop and I thought I king of the world with my idea until a rep came in.. check out the link
http://electric-life.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=114&sub=114&cat=TALEGATOR
and save up some bucks. :rant:
I'm talking to Autoloc right now about some way to pop the tailgate by remote and not have it flop down...Trying to do things cheaper than the tailgator. I'll let ya know.

·
B&B Customs
2,154 Posts
BLK_MAL said:
Hey man nice, idea...I thought about the same thing. I have a truck accessory shop and I thought I king of the world with my idea until a rep came in.. check out the link
http://electric-life.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=114&sub=114&cat=TALEGATOR
and save up some bucks. :rant:
I'm talking to Autoloc right now about some way to pop the tailgate by remote and not have it flop down...Trying to do things cheaper than the tailgator. I'll let ya know.
Leave it to BLK_MAL he has a pimp dime and is not scared to roast some dubs.. LOL Yea but I wanted to do something with out using a actuator.. And now that I think about it if you can find a way to put them shocks in like you would on the talegator kit. Then you wouldn't have to worry about it. Just cut a lil hear and there and it should work.. Hey look me up when its time to shave it Ralphie I will help you out. You know thats what I do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts