S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm in the process of shaving my tailgate, frenching a homemade license plate box, and putting in some led lights in the gate. Here is the progress so far.

I was going to do the plate box angled off the one side, but soooooo many people do that. My plan is put a single row of white led's under the plate box for the reverse lights. A double row of red led's going above where the gate handle was, and a double row going up and down at each side for the running/brake lights. She is in primer right now, one more skim coat of putty in a few places and she will be ready for the lights. Let me know what you think of the idea, keep the flaming to a minimum if you will, thanks. :tup:

·
NVR2LO
700 Posts
s10nospeed said:
Hey guys, I'm in the process of shaving my tailgate, frenching a homemade license plate box, and putting in some led lights in the gate. Here is the progress so far.

I was going to do the plate box angled off the one side, but soooooo many people do that. My plan is put a single row of white led's under the plate box for the reverse lights. A double row of red led's going above where the gate handle was, and a double row going up and down at each side for the running/brake lights. She is in primer right now, one more skim coat of putty in a few places and she will be ready for the lights. Let me know what you think of the idea, keep the flaming to a minimum if you will, thanks. :tup:
lookin good, i did the same to mine, except i ordered the box from suicide doors, i got the plate in the bottom left hand side and the led's in the bottom corners below the box. where r u puttin the led's???

·
NVR2LO
700 Posts
. My plan is put a single row of white led's under the plate box for the reverse lights. A double row of red led's going above where the gate handle was, and a double row going up and down at each side for the running/brake lights. She is in primer right now, one more skim coat of putty in a few places and she will be ready for the lights. Let me know what you think of the idea, keep the flaming to a minimum if you will, thanks. :tup:[/QUOTE]

my bad, i didnt see the bottom part, that sound very diff. caznt wait to see!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sweet, thanks man, I can't wait to finish it. I have about 8 hours into it right now (I had two days off and got bored) I can only estimate that the led's will take at least another 10 hours to make/install. I just want it to be done, but I dont want to rush it either.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, how deep are your plate boxes. This one I made is a full 3" deep, and I think the plate in there looks soo sweet, it disappears at high angles. Is 3" normal? Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
looks good so far, did u warp any? i had a lil bondo fest to add, i made my own box to, just as deep as urs but desided to bring it up a bit.

im also adding 3 leds between the tail gate n roll pan back where the end of the floor goes down.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sweet. I didn't have any warp for the box, but i had major warp for the handle. Once I cut the opening for the box it pretty much smoothed out though. It was a bad situation that luckily got fixed. I really love the results though. I like how your box has that slight taper , its not just straight back like mine. Looks good :tup:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bagged85 said:
im also adding 3 leds between the tail gate n roll pan back where the end of the floor goes down.
Thats where I wanted to put mine, but in Pa they need to at least 14" off the ground or something like that. So I will end up putting them in the gate.

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
s10nospeed said:
no man, the days of my truck actually being usefull are long gone. Thanks for lookin out though.
not a problem...

but you're NEVER gonna put the gate down? If so, then why didn't you get a cal combo? why waste your time messin with a gate?

·
DOOR'D FOR HER PLEASURE!
5,688 Posts
if you think of running a cali combo, for the love of god, weld in enuff support so that the corners dont crack 2 months after all the werk is dunn. i saw 10-15 of them all cracked and shitty looking at the last show i was at

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
layinbody31 said:
not a problem...

but you're NEVER gonna put the gate down? If so, then why didn't you get a cal combo? why waste your time messin with a gate?
Mainly because the metal used for the box was free at my school and the cali combo cost money. I'm a broke college student with a lot of free time. So thats just the way it worked out. Mayby I'll just Dukes of Hazzard my tailgate shut. Idunno, I am known for not thinking things through, so I'm sure this work will not go untouched for long, but for the time being I think I like it.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Bagged85 ,, looks good and love that angled in plate box , but what is up with the tailgate not lining up . Look at this pic , it is circled in blue ..

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
that problem has been fixed i shimed it out with washers inside the cups. and it wasnt touching its jsut the angle i was on.

btw nospeed, hows that thing coming, handle in yet n all done?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bagged85 said:
t
btw nospeed, hows that thing coming, handle in yet n all done?
Yeah I have the handle in, but I didnt touch the lighting yet, its a big project. I don't wanna get too down.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts