S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont have any diagrams in front of me and I am trying to find the tach output wire, can anyone help?

·
Rarely goes over 20mph
3,163 Posts
If its a 91 then hook the wire from the tach to the negative side of the ignition coil.

I think the 94-97 trucks have a tach wire already in the harness. If the truck is a 98-up you may be screwed on the tach since the factory tachs ran off the PCM data bus. I think the 98-up 4-cylinders used coil packs rather than a regular distributor and single coil, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

there should be a green wire that you hook the tach into, just know i hooked my friends into the negative side of ignition coil

·
Float like a butterfly
20,926 Posts
If its a 91 then hook the wire from the tach to the negative side of the ignition coil.

I think the 94-97 trucks have a tach wire already in the harness. If the truck is a 98-up you may be screwed on the tach since the factory tachs ran off the PCM data bus. I think the 98-up 4-cylinders used coil packs rather than a regular distributor and single coil, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

there should be a green wire that you hook the tach into, just know i hooked my friends into the negative side of ignition coil
94+ 4 cylinders had coil packs,the 2.2 never had a dist. the negative side of the coil is right,its either white or green i forgot.:D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its actually a 88, what wire on the coil is the negative wire?Thanks

·
Chat Bitch
650 Posts
Yeah it's a white-looking one. IIRC, it comes off sort of the back of the coil. Just splice into it and you should be good. Make sure to tape it back up though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts