S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just bought an autometer Tach and i am trying to hook it up. The problem is it says to hook the green wire up to the negative side of the coil. My question is where is the coil? Or where do i hook the tach to (if not the coil)? Thanks in advance!

·
Still plays with sparks
457 Posts
Bad, Bad news!

Man, I got some Bad, Bad, Bad news! and a little good news. first the good news. go to autometers website and they have special instructions for instalation the 2.2L. now the bad news, packadge your tach back up and send it back to autometer because It has to be specialy calibrated for a 2.2L engine. Trust me on this on I just went through it. but it cost me alot mor time and money than it will cost you. trust me on this one there is no way around it!

·
Registered
271 Posts
cant you splice the signal wire into the shift light wire????? i would imagine that the shift light needs to read the rpm, and i think that the tach needs to be recalibrated because of the 2 coils but the shift light is already getting a correct signal. right????

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
FTC said:
cant you splice the signal wire into the shift light wire????? i would imagine that the shift light needs to read the rpm, and i think that the tach needs to be recalibrated because of the 2 coils but the shift light is already getting a correct signal. right????

no the shift light is run by the ecm and is controled by throttle position, speed and revs. It wont help hooking it there. The only suggestion I have is maybe tie it in where the factory tach gets its refrence from.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already have got recalibrated for my engine so it should work right (hopefully). I just need to know where to hook it up to?

·
Still plays with sparks
457 Posts
I dont realy know what you are talking about with the shift light, it should just plug into the tach. and like I said before, GO TO WWW.AUTOMETER.COM they have detailed instructions on where to hook up your tach!

·
Med School member
179 Posts
I took mine to a shop and they sain they would run it for 55 bucks. But it was a montser tach, way to big, so I sold it

·
Registered
23 Posts
take the wiring harness off the electric box in the engine bay on the passanger side. It's a white wire #10 thats the one for the tach. hope this helps you. it has the number wrote on the box for you. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 96 S10 and I bought a semi generic tach for it. But I had to hook up the green wire to the PCM (Powertrain Control Module). There is a white wire that is for the tach signal out (mine was #20). If you can get the wiring diagrams for your truck it will really help out a lot. Hope that helps.

K

·
0 Posts
i have autometer tach and you don't have to send it back..you have to get a wiring diagram and find out which wire is your tach signal coming out of the PCM thats what i did notspecial calibrations....works fine

·
Registered
1 Posts
blk99s10 said:
take the wiring harness off the electric box in the engine bay on the passanger side. It's a white wire #10 thats the one for the tach. hope this helps you. it has the number wrote on the box for you. :)
Yo i got a 2000 s 10 how;d you drop it blocks? i'm making a custom air intake and i just painted it:rotf: :rotf:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts