S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'92/2.5 engine/T5 transmission. Was on my way to a funeral yesterday, cruising at about 60 mph on a state highway. There was a "slam" like like I'd hit something, and a sound like wire wrapped around the driveshaft, then nothing. I didn't see that I hit anything, truck drove OK, so I began looking for the best spot to pull over and see what I hit. Took the truck out of gear to coast in, and realized I couldn't pull over there so went to put it back in gear to go a little further. I couldn't get it into gear--any gear, from 1-5.

I managed to coast into a convenience store parking lot. I found that from a stop, I could shift it into gear but any attempt to drive under power resulted in a horrible banging/grinding sound. I pushed it around back, called a ride, and got to the funeral. Today's project is getting it towed home.

Any ideas what happened to the transmission? I'm guessing a gear shattered, or something is bent (but I really have little idea, never worked on transmissions).

Typical for my luck, I just put new tires on. I seem to always have something like this happen when I buy a set of new tires.

·
Gears and Differentials
1,355 Posts
Could be the clutch.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
95 was the last year for the t5 in S10
Sorry for the error. At the point when I saw the vehicle, the body had already been removed as it was being stripped for the frame. If I ever come up with a use for them, I have a set of rust-free (AZ truck) front quarter panels, doors, hood, and box from the same vehicle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clutch is OK, transmission is trashed. The one I found didn't fit, so back to the drawing board. thanks for the link Dime-dozen!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts