S-10 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey you guys would believe what i just picked up!

obvoiusly the title says it all.

number 1352-198 got it for $50 bucks at the local salvage yard
i also have a non-world class number 1352-146

i'm looking at the two trans and i bet they would interchange!!!

for those of you who do not know how to check the numbers
www.5speeds.com

the 146 came from a 85 s-10
the 198 came from a 90 isuzu
but chevy made isuzu that year!! the whole drive train was chevy!!

well installed by gm you know what i mean!!

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have a WC T5 in my 93. Came stock ;) Wicked score for $50

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, now's here is my question
does the transmission have a triditional style bolt pattern like all older chevy?
the 4 bolts from the transmission to the bell housing like this??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY-TRUCK-350-4-SPEED-BELL-HOUSING_W0QQitemZ8054097786QQcategoryZ33733QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or are the 4 bols like this??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8054939397&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

the last world class s-10 one i got had the FORD bolt patter.

this one i have has the chevy. i buy and sell parts and espicially t-5's and i also get then at the local salvage yard obviously.

and this is the 1st i have ever seen!!

·
Registered
568 Posts
the wc t5 was 85up in the s-10s and cameros for sure and I assume outher vehicles from 85 up use the same. the only real big diffence is they used composite syncs(mostly carbon fiber) instead of brass or copper and it's not as sloppy though the gears, but it's still pretty sloppy.
as for the bell houseing the bolt pattern from gearbox to bell housing is the same on all of them so any bell housing is interchangable. the 2.5 bell houseing will fit a 60* v6 engines. there is a 1 peise with non removable bellhouseing and a 2 peise so watch what your buying

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bvr775 said:
the wc t5 was 85up in the s-10s and cameros for sure and I assume outher vehicles from 85 up use the same. the only real big diffence is they used composite syncs(mostly carbon fiber) instead of brass or copper and it's not as sloppy though the gears, but it's still pretty sloppy.
as for the bell houseing the bolt pattern from gearbox to bell housing is the same on all of them so any bell housing is interchangable. the 2.5 bell houseing will fit a 60* v6 engines. there is a 1 peise with non removable bellhouseing and a 2 peise so watch what your buying
no sorry the t-5 world class wasn't unsed on chevy until eirly 90's
check www.5speeds.com

the one i have now is the eirlyest one i have seen the one befor this was a 94 but had a different bolt pattern like a ford style not like the one betterthanyou shows. and it came from a s-10 2.2 liter

number 146 check it it's not world class

a 2.5 also will not bolt to a 4.3. 4.3 shares the bolt pattern of the v8's

the one piece bell ones i don't think those where even made by borg warner
i think thats something chevy did??

·
Registered
568 Posts
umm a 60* is like a 2.8,3.1 or 3.4

they did use them 85 because I had to go trough this with first truck an 85 s-15, an 85 s-10, an 89 sonoma, and a camero. One more thing the original T5 had a steel counter shaft on the 2 peise trannys. You can't really tell if a real WC unless it still has the lable on the top cover or untill you open it. Honestly I hate the T5 trannys and thinck they'er junk because they can't handel power like most outher standerd trannys I've dealt with...but they'er cheap and you can get them anywhere and I can rebuild em with my eyes closed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ahh i didn't know what a 60* was
all kinds of new terms

a world class is easy to tell just like betterthanyou points out
there is a ring arounf the retainer for the counter gear bearing.

and a non world class is just flat.

or just check the tag all tags say 1352-XXX the 3 digits will tell you mwhat it is

according to 5speeds.com chevy did not use a world claas until early to mid 90's

don't get me wrong i'm not doubting you. becasue i have seen this stuff happen befor when a company says it was not and it was.

also there is a chevette t-5 on ebay and the bearing looks like a world class
also noticed the bolt pattern!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8053821804&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

it's ford!!

·
Registered
568 Posts
5speed.com is saying that is because the older trannys weren't refered to as woldclass, that's why the only way to tell on the older trannys is to pull the cover and look inside. if it's got metal syncs it not a wc if it has composite syncs it is. for example the 85 chevette had brass syncs, but the case is the same as one you'ld pull out of a 85 ranger had carbon fiber syncs. like I said I went trough this a few times and a still have a few of t5s behind the garage that didn't have the cheaper internals so i didn't use em.

·
ROD TWISTIN MEMBER
3,808 Posts
I have a 94 with a w/c t-5

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry but i have to argue this,
i looked all through the junk yard yesterday and never saw a ford ranger with a t-5 in it.
do you have the number on the transmission? not a casting number the tag number 1352-xxx

also according the the guys at 5speeds.com all world class trans had that special bearing cap. they had to becasue the non world class didn't have a bearing like the world class

they said if you found a "world class" with out the correct bearing cap and composit syncs the syncs could have been from some one who rebuilt it previously and replace the metal ones.

don't shoot the messanger thats what i was told by people who deal with these one a daily basis

·
Registered
695 Posts
bvr775 said:
5speed.com is saying that is because the older trannys weren't refered to as woldclass, that's why the only way to tell on the older trannys is to pull the cover and look inside. if it's got metal syncs it not a wc if it has composite syncs it is. for example the 85 chevette had brass syncs, but the case is the same as one you'ld pull out of a 85 ranger had carbon fiber syncs. like I said I went trough this a few times and a still have a few of t5s behind the garage that didn't have the cheaper internals so i didn't use em.
Sorry your wrong. The T5 WC is not differentiated by its syncros alone. The counter gear bearings on the WC T5 are a tapered cone design. The counter gear is set in with a preload much like a carrier in a differential housing. The NWC just uses straight roller bearings. The WC T5 also uses needle bearings for its coundershaft. The NWC T5 uses bushings. Any T5 WC tranny will always have the steel counter gear bearing support pressed in the front of the housing. This is the way to tell the difference from the outside. If your box does not have this then it IS NOT a WC T5. Sorry

You can verify this information by downloading the factory service manual if you wish. http://www.tremec.com/English/media/pdfs_autogen/T-5_Service_Manual.pdf

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'm not going to argue this with yall, because eventually yall will run across it if yall do allot of builds like I do.

as for the ranger you'er looking for the old body style 4 cylender with the dual plug design(they'll have checkboard pinstiping or sport on them). there is a four speed, a 5 speed with OD and a plain 5 speed. you want the plain 5 speed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts