S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Look at my S-10 firetruck
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys i am having problems again with my head unit...well i say its my head unit cause this will be the 4th time it gets replaced. i have a sony(yea i know your all laughing) CDX-7050X. I have a clarion 400W 2-channel bridged amp coming off the sub pre-outs running a Infinity Kappa 12" sub in a sealed truck box. The front speakers are off the head unint and are kenwood Excelon's. The rear panel speakers are off a sony 50X2 amp running off the rear pre-outs, they are kenwoods as well...heres where it gets interesting. The sub keeps shutting off...no the amp is not going into protect. I can turn off the head unit and turn it back on and it will work for a little bit then shut off...about 5 mins. This will happen as long as you keep shuting off the power and turning it back on. Theres no distortion or anything in the mean time and only the sub shuts off the other pre outs keep on working. Heres the kicker....this is the 2nd time this head unit has done this, Sony has rebuilt it once already, the other one replacment came from the dealer i got the head unit off of. ok heres another kicker, the other time that the head unit kept shutting the sub out off, that was with a different amp, different RCA's and different wiring...only thig that was/is the same is the speaker. i dont think its the speaker....it should mess up the amp not the head unit. Its amp is wired the same as the other amp. power directly off the battery and grounded to a seat bolt thats been sanded clean and tight. I cant figure this out...sony will fix it again but why does it keep going out? They are trying to tell me that something else is wrong and i need to check that out but i dont know what else it could be. if anyone has ideas let me know please!!!! thanks:bash:

·
Just Call Me Dick
305 Posts
my friend was having the same problem but his turned out to be his sub. it was the two wires going to the voice coil of his sub. when ever he would hit it hard the two wires would touch together an cut the amp off. he could cut the car off and cut it on and it would be fine. he changed subs and has not had the prob since.

·
Look at my S-10 firetruck
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fixed

i switched pre outs and no problems now....im just using the rear outs instead of the sub outs...this will work untill i can send it back

1 - 4 of 4 Posts