S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 91 s10 ext cab. I have a kenwood excelon deck and i Rocford 200 watt amp (that pushes 320 watts) and a rocford he 10 inch sub. my stock alternator recently went out and i purchased a remaunfactured one. but it went out also. now i have another remanufatcured one. but i called around and was told my system could be causing this prob(they said older GM alternators what this problem) they say ill need a proformance 200+ watt alternator. this is very expensive. what other alternatives so i have so i can have my bumps back? (and still be in motion) HELP? can i get another small battery or something?

·
Race Cop
69 Posts
I think someone is handing you a line. I’m running an Alpine 6 channel (600 watt) amp. The amp drives a single 10” and Focal components. I’m also running an Audio Control Model 11 center channel processor that also has a 40 watt internal amp. The factory alt went out (bearing locked up), I replaced the alt with a re man from Advance Auto with no problems at all. I don’t think the re man has the same 105 amp output that the factory one provided, but it works just fine. I’ve been working on cars for 30 years, sometimes you WILL get a bad re man part, it just happens.

·
Registered
35 Posts
no way you need a 200+ alternator....maybe a 105 at most. I had a 105 amp alternator and i was running about 2000 wrms...i also had an optima battery dedicated to it though. you should be able to get around a 105A gm alternator for pretty cheap....and there's no way your system caused an alternator to go bad that fast

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
u may want to buy a cap. it stores power for bass peaks and wont drain your battery, or mess up your alt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where?

where can i get a cheap cap? and how much are they? and how hard are they to install?

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
it runs in-line with the power wire, first your battery to the cap to the amp, if you have more than one amp do it before the distrubition block that feeds all your power to the amps

cost is like $100.00 for a monster cable cap/ at circuit city

1 - 7 of 7 Posts