S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any real noticable benefits, such as oil pressure or mpg /hp

does egine need to be flushed before switching over?

·
"Old School"
1,115 Posts
yep ... smoother running ... longer between changes ... ( for me 3k vs 5k )

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
you dont HAVE to flush the engine, because the second time you change the synthetic, itll have flushed all the dino oil deposits and residual dino out of the system. id guess just change the first synthetic oil early, maybe 5k miles?

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
changed at 700 ;)

the sooner the better... high lubricity, high viscosity index (low viscosity @ cold temp = more oil where it needs to be sooner!), more stable at high temp, more stable period...

·
12,507 Posts
would putting synthetic in a 92,000 mile engine thats always been run on dino, and usually had oil changes at 5-7k miles, be a bad thing?

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
maybe, it might start leaking, it might not.....

Caleb

·
12,507 Posts
its not a Chevy engine lol. i kinda want to do it, but them i dont want to be on the highway and walk out of the rest stop to see a puddle of oil under the car.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
well, no what it is, is synthetic oil tends to find cracks and spots in the gaskets where it can seep through no matter what type of engine it is.....mileage puts wear on the gaskets, henceforth, more likely to seep....it would be like a horrible leak, unless your gasket was just completely fijucked up....it'd be more like a small drip here and there

Caleb

·
12,507 Posts
i know, just had to poke a little fun...its damn near 4 am, need SOMETHING to keep me awake. i think next oil change, im going to swap to synthetic then. I cant find Amsiol anywhere around here, whats the next best kind to get? and how about changing the oil in a tranny from from-the-factory to full synthetic with 92k miles on it?

·
Road Race/Auto X S10
3,828 Posts
Yes synthetic is more I don't know how to say it, thinner or more whatever. But it can get thru a smaller area than reg oil. But it doesnt create leaks for those scared of it. Synthetic is a great investment for anyone. :thumbup:

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
well, it doesn't CREATE leaks, it just shows you where they are more evidently

Caleb

·
Registered
962 Posts
SummerWolf said:
well, it doesn't CREATE leaks, it just shows you where they are more evidently

Caleb

Caleb is correct

Just as this type of thread has been argued over and over in the past, SYNTHETIC OIL does not make engine seals leak, rather, if your seals are already worn and in bad shape, then YES synthetic as is it smaller on the molecular base will find the wears spots and may leak out more.

I switched to mobile one oil, $17 bucks at Mullet Mart (ok, Wal-Mart, but you go there and count how many people you see with mullets) and change around 5-6k or 6 months what ever is first. If you drive it hard , SYN is good and it takes heat better and flows easier in cold weather.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i switched to synthetic about 2000 miles ago and no leaks. i've noticed a substantial increase in oil pressure. before the switch the gauge never read over 40. now on start up it jumps to 80 and idles no lower than 50. i knew synthetics had a higher viscosity, but i didnt expect to notice such an increase in oil pressure. i have a 92 s-blazer, 4.3 with 110,000 miles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have a 92 blazer as well with the engine code w and i have 275000 kms and im thinking of doing the switch but i know my front crank seal and my lower intake seals leak and sweat. i dont loss oil anything to bitch about little to no spots and my engine still runs strong, ill be doing an injector cleaning soon to clean up the system after i rebuilt the fuel system almost completly, everything from tank brackets thru cpi injector, except the gas lines. should i take the chance and switch synthetic?

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
redefine420 said:
i switched to synthetic about 2000 miles ago and no leaks. i've noticed a substantial increase in oil pressure. before the switch the gauge never read over 40. now on start up it jumps to 80 and idles no lower than 50. i knew synthetics had a higher viscosity, but i didnt expect to notice such an increase in oil pressure. i have a 92 s-blazer, 4.3 with 110,000 miles.
actually its lower viscosity at startup temps compared to dino. at higher temps it just doesnt thin out as much.

·
Registered
88 Posts
hey muddy if you really wants ams you can order directly form there website, www.amsoil.com

·
AA
627 Posts
I have a 95 with 197,000 miles - I just switched to synthetic about 7k ago - haven't had any leaks, but did notice a difference in time at the track... (about .2 sec.)

·
The Dave Inc.
11,720 Posts
Mobil 1 synthetic is what i run now...i buy like the big 4-5qt jug at wal mart for like $20-something and have it done by a friend

·
12,507 Posts
and you just use a regular oil filter?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts