S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Do what now?
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 2.2L with a 5 speed and I am going to change the transmission fluid. Went up to the dealership to find out how much it was per quart fo the syncromesh fluid, they wanted 14 freakin dollars per quart for that stuff.

Now I have a question, will it hurt anything to drain that stuff out and use a different transmission fluid? Something instead of that expensive syncromesh fluid?

Anyone have any ideas?

·
PPG Sprayin Minitrucker
1,038 Posts
No No. Dont use different fluid. My 95 used that fluid and it was gettin low. The tech at the GM dealership I was workin at said not to use anything different.

If you lived closer I would tell you to come over and get some from me. I have a qt and a 1/2 on the shelf in my garage. and I don't need it anymore.

·
Do what now?
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
man thats depressing! That stuff isn't cheap. Ahh well, its still cheaper than taking it somewhere and having them do a transmission flush.

Let me ask you another question. I know there is a filter on an automatic transmission, but on a manual is there any filter I need to look for?

·
Off Roadin' Member
1,277 Posts
theres no filter on the manual tranny. a quart of synchromesh cost me 11$ at my local dealership. they say to only use synchromesh, but Royal Purple makes a replacement for it called Synchromax that some people have tried and liked it.

·
Road Race/Auto X S10
3,828 Posts
Auto's and manual's use the same tranny fluid?

·
Do what now?
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anyone remember how many quarts the tranny on a 2.2 5 speed needs to have in it? I think I remember reading that it needs to have 4 quarts is that right?

·
S-series abuser
694 Posts
pennzoil also makes a replacement fluid for syncromesh that is alot cheaper. i think it runs like 5 or 6 bucks a quart still. autozone carries it. i dont really recommend using anything different than the gm stuff though not for any particular reason im just a believer in gm and ac delco parts.

dustin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts