S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
NVR2LO
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a tbi in my truck now, a 94, and i found a cpi motor and trans out of a 97, motor has 90k and the tranny has 20k. how hard would it be to switch over?? is my tbi 5 spd tranny a 1 year cause its a 94?? do i have to switch the computer and everything?? id really like to switch this motor, but i dont want to dig myself a hole i cant get out of! i could really use ur input guys!

·
Gone Fisting!
671 Posts
you will need to change the computer cause it's a completly different from of fuel injection, if you have all the parts just remove from engine A and put on Engine B. But you will need the computer or some sort of chip i'm sure someone will chime in as i'm not much of the computer genius here. But the swap over shouldn't be that big of a deal i dont belive..

·
Got Fuel Rails?
4,539 Posts
Computer
Fuel pump
camshaft
heads
intake manifold

Thats a start for you.

Edit, oops, i see you have a '97 motor, that isn't cpi('92-'95) that is csefi('96 and up), what i said^^ is still true though.

·
NVR2LO
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rat said:
Computer
Fuel pump
camshaft
heads
intake manifold

Thats a start for you.

Edit, oops, i see you have a '97 motor, that isn't cpi('92-'95) that is csefi('96 and up), what i said^^ is still true though.
thanks for the input, will my tranny from the 94 work??

·
Registered
4 Posts
masssdime420 said:
thanks for the input, will my tranny from the 94 work??
Nope 94 4L60E trans uses one less solenoid in the transmission than 4L60E from 95' and up it was a last minute change from GM when they created an electrionic 4L60. Plus the shifting patterns are entirely differnert to compensate for past trans problems with Torque Converter clutch slipping when locked up

·
11 second station wagon
2,921 Posts
Your 5 speed will bolt up fine. The engine harness will need to be changed along with all the fuel pump lines a CPI system use a 60 psi pump a TBI system uses a 14 PSI pump. It should be easy enough with all factory parts and definitely a worthwhile swap if your keeping your 5 speed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts