S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Got Mud???
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone swaped out their regular 4x4 axles for zr2's? I'd like to do this and then I can just build it in lower to add about 5" of lift. The main thing I was wondering is: How does the zr2 get it's extra 3.9" width? Is it in the differential housing or the cvshafts/control arms? I know I'll have to lower the control arms but if the width difference comes from them I'll have to swipe them from the donor too. And since mine has AutoTrac do I need a differential that came from a 4 button Zr2? I'll also swap out the rear axle at the same time, do all newer (98+) ZR2's have rear disks? Mine does and I'd like to keep it that way.

BTW: I know this should be in the trans/rearend forum but it's been kinda dead lately and I wanted advice from real 4X4 folks!!!:nuts:

·
Got Mud???
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, thank ya sir.

·
got SFA?
901 Posts
ok well here i go to try and explainthis. they get the width from a reversed frame, its not the regular s10 frame, thats hwy its wider. The mounting parts for the suspension is lower and in slightly different places cause if the different frame, hence the 3" lift. You can swap the zr2 parts over, but you wont get much then a slightly, and i mean SLIGHTLY, stronger driveline.

·
Registered
211 Posts
just out of curiousity, if you're going to swap axles, why don't you just use a better axle. i mean our axles aren't bad, but if you're going through the trouble to swap em, why not just go bigger and better? to me it just seems almost a waste of time. i mean, you're basically putting the same axle back under your truck.

·
Got Mud???
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I was wanting to keep my IFS, and my creature comforts (ie: autotrac, abs); while adding overall width and strength. But the more I think about it, I consider either getting a fullsize front diff or leaving well enough alone and get the 5" TM lift.

Will just the ZR2 diff. replace the stock one on my reg 4x4? This way I could still add a little strength.

I really appreciate all the help guys!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
well i understand the creature comforts part, that's fair enough.

·
got SFA?
901 Posts
the zr2 front diff is the same one as the regular 4x4s.

the fullsize front end peices ( diff, axle, hlaf shafts etc ) does fit , atleast in the zr2s, but it DOES require a lift kit to make room.

·
Got Mud???
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I mean the same size splines to the halfshafts and if they would bolt up. I understand that the gearing is different as well as the exterior dimensions, but is it an alright swap? What size ring gear in in the front on our reg. 4X4's? My overall goal is to fit 33's without worries. I'd hate for my front diff to blow on the trail...it would make for a really bad day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts