S-10 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im buying a truck this weekend thats bagged with a step notch and monoleaf, I would like to swap it out for a 3 link and i dont have access to a welder nor the ability and i found an airlift gen1 3 link bars and i was wondering if its possible to get it to fit since i wont be using the bags that the kit usually comes with, ill be using the bags already on the truck

·
Registered
917 Posts
yeah why not. I can't find it, but I swear sd makes a complete bolt on 3 link, then you would just leave the over axle bags in there

·
Killin' it Kustoms
1,137 Posts
no, going from monleaf to 3 link is hard. your pinon angle is SCREWD on a monleaf setup. you have to cut your axel brakets off and reweld them back on. not real hard, but sucked. i did that to mine. i made some adapters untill i found the time to redo it.

josh

·
Give me 3 yrs...
6,526 Posts
lowriderbowtie said:
you can buy the sd 3/5 link with bolt on lower axle brackets. no welding
and they make a bolt in notch...

·
Not Banned
3,987 Posts
congrats, makin a wise decision IMO. i bought my truck and it had a monoleaf setup. but i ended up changin it out for a parallel 3 link and i love it so far!

·
**** you
9,528 Posts
tuckin20's said:
no, going from monleaf to 3 link is hard. your pinon angle is SCREWD on a monleaf setup. you have to cut your axel brakets off and reweld them back on. not real hard, but sucked. i did that to mine. i made some adapters untill i found the time to redo it.

josh
im confused about this. how would you have to weld anything different to switch to a 3 link, since a monoleaf requres no welding at all? It wouldnt be any different than going from a stock setup to a 3 link.. Are you talking about the leaf perches? because those get moved either way.. weather you have monoleafs or not. and Pinion angle is easy as shit to do, put the frame on jackstands, and put the axle on jackstands, and put a jack under the pumpkin to change the angle.. and just get a magnetic angle finder at home depot for like $10 to tell you where your at the right pinoin angle. pretty simple actually..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well its a bolt on so i didnt think any welding would be required, i was under the impression that a monoleaf setup was basically just removing leaves and putting in blocks, thats why it was not the best setup, and the bolt on 3 link was meant to do exactly that, bolt in, and it has an adjustable panhard bar to adjust the pinion angle

·
Killin' it Kustoms
1,137 Posts
i didnt have bolt on for my lower bag brackets. or axel brackets. the mono leaf pointed the pumpkin up when i was layed out, and the 3 link corrects that. so my welded on axel brakets had to be cut off, and i had to get new ones, grind my welds, and re weld. no really hard just a hassel. i wish the had bolt on when i did my rear. oh well. sorry for the confusion.

josh

·
Killin' it Kustoms
1,137 Posts
tuckin20's said:
i didnt have bolt on for my lower bag brackets. or axel brackets. the mono leaf pointed the pumpkin up when i was layed out, and the 3 link corrects that. so my welded on axel brakets had to be cut off, and i had to get new ones, grind my welds, and re weld. not really hard just a hassel. i wish the had bolt on when i did my rear. oh well. sorry for the confusion.

josh
what my bags bolted to on my axel, not my leaf brackets, or leaf perchs. when i installed my 3 link the bag brackets were a 1/4 turn to the front. thats what i meant. my bad.

·
VVVthat thing is deadVVV
4,185 Posts
in no way should the panhard adjust pinion angle. the locating bars should have threaded ends on them to adjust pinion angle. the gen 1 3 link bolts on completely except for the notch unless there is already one there or you buy the bolt in one from SD

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NeverEnough188 said:
in no way should the panhard adjust pinion angle. the locating bars should have threaded ends on them to adjust pinion angle. the gen 1 3 link bolts on completely except for the notch unless there is already one there or you buy the bolt in one from SD
there is already a notch welded in so im good with that, the truck is done, im just not liking what i hear about the monoleaf setup and i want something a little more safe, and my bad it was the upper link not the panhard bar that is used in the kit to adjust the pinion angle

·
AcrophobiA CEN-CAL
1,893 Posts
I might be wrong but I think both the 3 and 5 link will need at least one thing welded on? 3 link would be the bag mounts and the 5 link would be the shock perches? Not for sure on that maybe one of the SD guys can clear that up for you. The only 100% bolt on kit that I'm aware of is the Cando and KP 6 link but both have their little problems if your going to drag.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts