S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it easier to swap a v8 into a 4.3 rather than a 2.2 ? Also is a 350 my best bet ? Is a T-56 a good transmission to swap for a 6 speed ? I have a 98 4.3 5 speed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
easier to swap into a pre 4.3 truck. You can use the trans.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Got to disagree. GM redesigned front cross member starting in 1988 to fit 4.3 as well as adding larger brake booster, springs and other stuff per JTR manual.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
It is a bit easier in some respects. If you are putting in a Vortec 5.7L, it is easier because a lot of what is on your 4.3 would work on the Vortec.
If you install an LT1 engine, making the gauges and all work with it is easier when the truck started as a 4.3 because this setup requires the 4.3 and LT1 computers in order for everything to work properly. I have been trying to figure out a way to use the 2.2L computer but it doesn't seem possible.
If you install an LS1, then the LS1 computer can be programmed to run the entire thing, engine, ABS, gauges, everything. Even the tach can read properly in he dash without any modules or modifications, just the right programming.

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
Why do you need both computers, is it an OBD-II thing? My 94 is running OBD-I with a 96 engine off a single 93 Pontiac ECM..

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
AVTekk said:
Why do you need both computers, is it an OBD-II thing? My 94 is running OBD-I with a 96 engine off a single 93 Pontiac ECM..
to keep the factory gauges and ABS working properly in the 98-up trucks.
If you don't want any of that, than you can do it any way you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts