S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys - i've been looking for a nice, clean s-10 blazer for a while now, and finally found one, but there's one downfall - it's a 2.8. since the truck is so clean, and basically exactly what i want otherwise, i was thinking about keeping it for a while and then dropping in a 4.3. how much stuff will i have to change over? has anybody here done this, and what did it cost? is it worth it? 89 tahoes w/ only 50 k on them are getting harder and harder to come by......

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
You will need...
  • 4.3 duh
  • 4.3 motor mounts and frame mounts
  • 90 degree bellhousing on tranny with 4x4 tail if you have 4x4
  • 4.3 y pipe
  • computer and complete 4.3 harness
  • 4.3 rad and overfill
  • all 4.3 accessories
  • hoses and acumulacator for 4.3 (if you have a/c) you can get away with the 2.8's acumulator but its tight.
  • can't think of anything else at the moment.
Feel free to ask me any questions I did this on a 86 blazer so my engine compartment is a little diffrent of a layout but I was lucky and had a 91 4.3 blazer to refrence from.

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
xtremer-pxl said:
Cough V8 Cough!!!:thumbup:

Yeah thats what I wanted to do... but I needed it back quickly and couldnt get a V8 efi setup and tranny for 500 bucks.

I got a 4.3, tranny, transfer case, ecu with superchips chip, airaid tbi spacer, and all accessories and wireing for 500 bucks that was a sweet deal!

and it only had 80k on it and was really taken care of. I poped the covers and there wasnt a sign of sludge at all anywhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BOOM - what would you do? i've got 2 trains of thought running right now: 1, to forget it and keep looking for what i really want, and 2, i'm not going to find one this clean for a long time. I've been looking for a good 88-90 for a while now. Ideally, i'd like to have a 4.3/auto, 4x4, tahoe package, chrome trim, blue interior, and inside spare, but most of all good condition and low miles. needless to say, that isn't easy to find. this thing doesn't have a spot of rust on it and i'd believe the 58k on the speedo - it looks almost new. i was starting to lean towards buying a 94/93 and replacing the grill and changing over whatever trim options i didn't like, just for the sake of having a low milage and rust free truck. the place that's selling it is still prepping it for sale, so i guess i have a day or two to decide what i want to do. it definately won't last long if the price is reasonable. how much did your swap cost when it was said and done? will i need to change the suspension? thanks

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
rocco said:
BOOM - what would you do? i've got 2 trains of thought running right now: 1, to forget it and keep looking for what i really want, and 2, i'm not going to find one this clean for a long time. I've been looking for a good 88-90 for a while now. Ideally, i'd like to have a 4.3/auto, 4x4, tahoe package, chrome trim, blue interior, and inside spare, but most of all good condition and low miles. needless to say, that isn't easy to find. this thing doesn't have a spot of rust on it and i'd believe the 58k on the speedo - it looks almost new. i was starting to lean towards buying a 94/93 and replacing the grill and changing over whatever trim options i didn't like, just for the sake of having a low milage and rust free truck. the place that's selling it is still prepping it for sale, so i guess i have a day or two to decide what i want to do. it definately won't last long if the price is reasonable. how much did your swap cost when it was said and done? will i need to change the suspension? thanks
Well finding a true rust free s-series in PA is gonna be HARD. it depends how much you have to invest with time and money. wich way to go I would say.

My swap cost me around 700 for everything I had to buy a new radiator it would have been about 100 cheaper if i was able to get the rad with the motor. suspension no changes were needed on mine. it might drop slightly but not much and you could crank up the torsion bars to take care of that.

oh yeah! I forgot make sure you get a 4.3 fan shroude unless you wanna hack up your 2.8 one to fit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
hey BOOM - i'm guessing around 2 grand for me to have it done since i really don't have the time/patience/room/tools/experience etc... any difference between the 4.3s? i know they had "4.3 H.O.s" later on - are they any better? was there a difference from the factory with the torsion bars, or were they the same for all the tahoes?

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
rocco said:
hey BOOM - i'm guessing around 2 grand for me to have it done since i really don't have the time/patience/room/tools/experience etc... any difference between the 4.3s? i know they had "4.3 H.O.s" later on - are they any better? was there a difference from the factory with the torsion bars, or were they the same for all the tahoes?
Well. I have a slightly stiffer torsion bars in my blazer but the tahoes are the same 2.8 or 4.3.

the HO's pretty much had a diffrent style of induction cpi versus tbi wich your 2.8 has. the motors are all the same pretty much except for the top and wireing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts