S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Lt. Schlock
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a friend swapping out a 2.8 carb motor for a 3.1 EFI in his Blazer. He's got the wire harness and computer from the 3.1 (Camaro).

What all other parts are necessary to make the 3.1 run?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
well, he will need the Blazer oil pan, and pick up. Blazer motor mount brackets, blazer oil filter bracket (with sending units) Im guessing the Camaro distributor and coil. Some little things are different, I just did the swap into my blazer, except i kept mine TbI instead of the Camaro's multiport Fuel Injection. Compare the two engines side by side that is what i did. Dont rush it, and take your time, do it right

·
Registered
180 Posts
im doing the same swap into my blazer. you are gonna need a high psi electric fuel pump possibly new fuel lines as well

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've actually done this, except i used the mpfi out of a camaro with the 2.8L

pm me if you have questions. we did it to an 84 2.8L. the 2.8L and 3.1L mpfi are nearly identical.

-hammer

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I think it's been pretty much covered, but I'll just add this..

For the fuel pump, you can get a sender for a newer Blazer, say an '86 that will accept an intank fuel pump. I did this with mine, but I also upgraded to the larger tank.

You will also need to check the VSS, if your friend has one (if it has cruise), it will be located, behind the gauge cluster, the Camaro ECM may or may not use the same VSS. When I did mine I modified a VSS to work with my tranny, but I am using an ECM out of a Cavalier, so it may be different.

The belt driven accesories may need to be retained from the Blazer or better yet, get them from a newer blazer, but I think there are issues with TB clearance and the belt.

You will need to weld an O2 sensor bung into the Y-pipe, as I believe the 3.1 Camaro uses a single O2 sensor.

That's about all I can think of for now. Once you get into the swap, anything else will become pretty self evident. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts