S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the first step!:bash: Hope the new engine goes in as easy as the old one came out!

Attachments

·
T/A drivin foundin member
538 Posts
thats your firewall? it looks like a bomb went off in there!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, just an oil leak

The oil on the black paint makes it look worse than it is. Thankfully, we have a good concentrated citrus based degreaser that we buy in 250 gal. totes so I'll be cleaning that up b/4 the new engine goes in :drinkhaha At least I un- bolted/unplugged everything b/4 I yanked the motor/trans out!:bash:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks better now

Here's what the 3.4 looks like

Attachments

·
538 Posts
man clean and repaint, please! ill do it for ya!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no paint, I want it to look stock

Next march when I go to NJ's inspection, I want the guy to think it's stock. Besides the new engine IS painted, it's everything else that makes it look so ugly. I'm thinkin about a crome air filter cover with a K&N. That and some soap & water would make a big difference.

·
538 Posts
alright thats cool, sorry if i came across as a PITA. If you get a K&N, Id reccomend getting a 14" and a chrome open element. the tricky part is getting a base with a downturned lip. if you cant get one there lemme know and i can ship one

·
Registered
53 Posts
How do you know thats a 3.4 and not a 2.8? It looks like any 2.8 Ive ever seen, and I didnt know they put anything but a 2.8 or a 4.3 in any S series 1st generation. I know this is identical to whats in my 93 S10 2.8. Im certainly not saying you're wrong, Im just looking to learn...

·
538 Posts
Ok glad you have a good attitude, and arent tryin to be a know it all, cause i was real read to bust your ass. Anyway, you are correct, as far as V6's go they only made the 2.8 and the 4.3. however, the 2.8 and 3.4 both share the same block (GM 60deg v6) that is why they look the same externally. the difference is the heads and crank. same concept as a 305 vs a 350 chevy.

Also in the first generations they put the 2.5L "Iron duke" as well as an Isuzu made 1.8. there was also a diesel version produced.

·
Registered
53 Posts
So whats the hp rating on one of these 3.4 motors? What cars do you source them from? Everything from a 2.8 swaps to them Im assuming? Why wouldnt you install a 4.3 if you were gonna go to the trouble?

Ive been told before that installing a 4.3 into a non-4.3 truck is harder than installing a 350 v8. I wonder why this is? Couldntyou just get the motor, trans, driveshaft, wiring harness and computer and plug it up?

Any of you got alot of engine swap experience? Im just gathering info for the time when my 2.8 gives me an excuse to trrade up...

·
538 Posts
RotaryResurection said:
So whats the hp rating on one of these 3.4 motors? What cars do you source them from? Everything from a 2.8 swaps to them Im assuming? Why wouldnt you install a 4.3 if you were gonna go to the trouble? well installing a 3.4 isnt any harder than rebuilding a 2.8.

Ive been told before that installing a 4.3 into a non-4.3 truck is harder than installing a 350 v8. I wonder why this is? Couldntyou just get the motor, trans, driveshaft, wiring harness and computer and plug it up? well the 4.3 came out in 88, which means efi and a computer. 350s can be sourced from any year and are usually carbed.

Any of you got alot of engine swap experience? Im just gathering info for the time when my 2.8 gives me an excuse to trrade up... [/B]
make a dual rotary powered s10!

·
Registered
53 Posts
the thought has crossed my mind...

what do you guys think of a 13b turbo powered s-10? I could probably make it work with stock mazda electronics and FI, but that sorta defeats the purpose of the truck since its not meant to be fast, and rotaries have no torque.

·
538 Posts
not ment to be fast? uh oh:rolleyes: Look at the SyTy's

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
3.4 Crate numbers

The 3.4 is a bored & stroked 2.8...almost. They started by stroking the 2.8 into the 3.1 to give the 60 degree camaros more power. Then they beefed up the block and overbored it to the 3.4 which came in the 93 - 95 camaro. You can use the camaro engine & treat it like a long block using your induction, front (timing) cover and oil pan to put it into a S-10. The camaros were 9.5 : 1 compression and need higher octane fuel. The crate motor was designed by GM Performance as a bolt in 49 state replacement for carb engine s-10's. That's what they emmissions certified it for. BTW I was glad you said my 3.4 looks like a 2.8, 'cause I want the emmissions tester to think that it's still the stock engine.;)
The crate is 9.0 : 1 compression w. 1.72" intake valves/ 1.42" exhaust. It has a high lift, short duration cam .427" int/.454" ex. and it makes 160HP and has 194 Ft Lbs of torque vrs the TBI 2.8's 125hp/150ft lbs. It's designed to have more low & mid range torque and it pulls like a mule! I have only 450 miles on it & it's still tight but it wants to GO. I expect to have the same or better fuel economy 'cause I'm not standing on the gas all the time like I did w/ my 2.8:evilg:

·
Registered
53 Posts
thanks for the info

Just what I wanted to know. You learn something new every day.

This brings me to another question...is the 3.8l v6 from the 98+ camaro(200hp I think)any relation to a S-10 v6?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
3.8 is a 90 degree motor

2.8 - 3.1 - 3.4 are all 60 degree engines, AKA 'Metric' bellhousing. The 3.8, 4.3 & the v-8's are all 90 degree engines. you stick to the family that came in your vehicle to make the swap easier.
Otherwise you need to swap the entire driveline

1 - 16 of 16 Posts