S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
B4U Task Force Admin
33,103 Posts
You're not going to gain anything unless the current engine is shot.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you are taking about the EcoTec3 LV3 style they are very different animals than whats in our trunks. I casually looked into this once and it got stupid expensive quick. Not a bolt in by any means.
What you would need is the engine transmission wiring harness and computer(s). Plenty of fab skills, wiring skills and tuning skills. As much as i hate to be "that guy" you can most likely do an ls swap for less and they are well documented and supported by the aftermarket, and this forum. If you could find a wrecked truck or van with the aforementioned parts that would be ideal if you want to do the new gen V6.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
33,103 Posts
Well...you're in for some fun. An LS doesn't just drop right in...at least in my case. But....we did do a lot of other things to it.

Reactions: ala_frosty

·
Registered
02 Sonoma ext cab 4.3 zq8
114 Posts
What would I need to do to swap to a late model 4.3? I am looking for a little more power and better fuel economy. View attachment 365458
I have a 02 zq8 Sonoma. I was also wanting more pep in the truck. I ported the throttle body and removed the deflector. Now I did go overboard when I bought it the intake gasket was leaking coolant in the oil and didn’t know long it was driven. I pulled the motor and It was not damaged. I went ahead and had the heads ported and better valve springs installed. The machine shop I carried it to had a performance rebuild kit setting around because it was all standard. I do wish I had used a little bigger cam but my cam is bigger than stock and for computer engines. Used a high flow spider injector. Now you will be limited in header options so I had the stock manifolds ported gain about what header flow. I found out that my transmission didn’t like the air deflector removed. It ran decent but when I took it to a tuner that is where the truck came to life. Like you I had a 190 hp L35 engine rated at the crank to the wheels 155 hp. Within all my modifications I pulled 178 at wheels on baseline pull. The factory is conservative on tunes. I am mildly tuned at 215 hp at wheels and 287 torque. I get about 19 mpg. I had the problem of wheel hop and you will seethe bracket on the axel for the anti hop shock you will have to find the bracket to mount on the body. My pull off is okay only I don’t drag race anymore. I run on highways and when I am 2200 rpm’s that’s when my truck is impressive.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a 02 zq8 Sonoma. I was also wanting more pep in the truck. I ported the throttle body and removed the deflector. Now I did go overboard when I bought it the intake gasket was leaking coolant in the oil and didn’t know long it was driven. I pulled the motor and It was not damaged. I went ahead and had the heads ported and better valve springs installed. The machine shop I carried it to had a performance rebuild kit setting around because it was all standard. I do wish I had used a little bigger cam but my cam is bigger than stock and for computer engines. Used a high flow spider injector. Now you will be limited in header options so I had the stock manifolds ported gain about what header flow. I found out that my transmission didn’t like the air deflector removed. It ran decent but when I took it to a tuner that is where the truck came to life. Like you I had a 190 hp L35 engine rated at the crank to the wheels 155 hp. Within all my modifications I pulled 178 at wheels on baseline pull. The factory is conservative on tunes. I am mildly tuned at 215 hp at wheels and 287 torque. I get about 19 mpg. I had the problem of wheel hop and you will seethe bracket on the axel for the anti hop shock you will have to find the bracket to mount on the body. My pull off is okay only I don’t drag race anymore. I run on highways and when I am 2200 rpm’s that’s when my truck is impressive.
What would I need to do to swap to a late model 4.3? I am looking for a little more power and better fuel economy. View attachment 365458
LS better way to power goal. Mite help econ if wasn't so much fun to drive.

·
Registered
02 Sonoma ext cab 4.3 zq8
114 Posts
LS better way to power goal. Mite help econ if wasn't so much fun to drive.
You are correct. My next S10 or Sonoma will be a LS swap. Wanted to clone a Syclone but I can buy one cheaper than building all for about what my Hellcat cost. But for less than a third of the cost of a LS swap and not requiring additional mechanical skills I built my truck that passes emissions testing and on the highway will go from 45 to 120 in 4 or so seconds. I know when need I pull off from the light and jump everyone else. Just put the torque where it is most effective and the pony’s to the wheels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts