S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im new to this forum but yeah i was curious though, im a full time college student and im in automotive repair. alright next semester is engine rebuilt and i was wondering will the 2.2 drop right in my s10 which has the 2.5 liter iron duke. oh and will the t5 bolt right up or will i have to drop the tranny and get another one. just curious. well see ya latta hope to get an answer soon. thanks oh its an 89 s10 too.

·
Aftermath (Canuck side)
346 Posts
What are your motives for you to go through the trouble? Just out of curiousity...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
reason for the swap

alright here's my motive. ya see im a full time college student and all, and well my 2.5 liter has bout oh 154 thousand miles on her and well next semester is engine rebuild so i figure im gonna take the opportunity to have another engine just in case my pops. i was thinkin of a 2.2. i figure port fuel injection a little better gas mileage. than the 2.5 hence TBI injection plus the 2.2 has a little bit better after market support and well i was just curious. plus TBI isn't as good at fuel distribution as a port fuel injected system. i figure a little bit better reliability. well thanks hopefully this will work out if not back to the 2.5.

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
Since the motor mounts are simply not available for a 2.2L engine in a 1st gen, and you'd have to either do a lot of searching or build your own?, I'd personally reccommend a 4.3L from a newer 1st gen, say a 91+... You'd get a LOT more power, plenty of aftermarket support, but I'm not sure on the transmission adaptability. If you're near Michigan, I've got a 2.5 with bad main bearings, if you're looking to rebuild a 2.5... Or, if you just need a new engine, and you're going to rebuild your own, I know of two good engines in Michigan. One is recently rebuilt after a pull, the other has 74,000 miles on it, and it comes with a 5sp tranny. Either one is $300. I'd prefer it if you want to rebuild my engine, though. :D I can't even afford college yet.. lol

·
Aftermath (Canuck side)
346 Posts
It would be a unique swap. And you are right about it saving you the gas. And you can find more chips, and whatnot available for it, due to all the wannabe ricers havin the engine. ie cavs sunfires.. wella have good luck with it, if you decide to do that.

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
Hey, who you talking about "wannabe ricers"???? I own a 2000 Cavalier sedan, with the 2.2, and it has never been beaten by ANY Honda in my town, yet... (and yes, I race frequently)
In actuality, there's not many chips available for the 2.2 engine, since it's an OBDII engine, rather than the OBDI, which I believe ? is 95-97, and OBDII is 98+ I believe you're referring to the "wannabe ricer" Z24 crowd, which has the 2.4L DOHC engine, rather than the weak 2.2L (or 2200) OHV engine... Either the 2.2 or the 2.4 will give you a MUCH better torque curve than any average Honda/Acura, which is why many J-body owners will build them up.... (not that I'm biased, of course... lol )
However, if you were to go for a truly unique swap, you might try swapping in a 3100, 3400, or 3800 V6???? There's a LOT of performance parts available for it, and it's got quite a bit of power already... (and it'll give you 26-27MPG in a 4-door Grand Prix)

But, it's your truck, and your choice... Who am I to tell you what's best? ;) If you need any help, and I'm able to answer your questions, I'll gladly do so... By the way, where are you located?

·
Dead Project Truck
649 Posts
If you know where to look, there are tons more parts available for the 2.5. I had a 91 with a 2.5 and the mileage kinda sucked,but hey it had 180k miles on it. Now Ive got a 97 with a 2.2 and trust me, unless your doing it strictly for mileage gains there is no good reason for a 2.2. The 2.2 is rated higher HP than the 2.5 but the 2.5 is actually faster. The 2.2 doesnt really have many aftermarket parts available except for bolt on junk that doesnt really add much to any HP. Check your options for the 2.5 build before you dismiss it. Look around at the fiero forums, they have tons of 2.5 stuff going on there. And for the record s10's have 2.2's from 94-up. 94's and I think about half of the 95's are OBD I, the rest are OBD II (up to 97 anyways), dont know about anything after 97 though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
And as to the V6s from the grand prixs if you are referring to the 3800 when you say 26-27 mpg there is no way. I own a monte Z34 and myself and many others are getting around 20 mpg. A friend of mine has a monte with the 3100 and gets around 23. The two door monte is also lighter than the 4 door grand prixs so if you can get 26 mpg out of a 3800 show me where i need to go!! lol

·
This season SUCKS.
15,929 Posts
Okay, so I may be incorrect on the mileage... But, you get hella more power! :headbang:

·
Aftermath (Canuck side)
346 Posts
I know a few from jbody clubs, wasnt rainin on your guyses parade bout wannabe ricers.. LOL, who am i to talk, hell my truck gets its ass handed to by honda's and acuras all the time LOL.. Sometimes i just take the embarrassment better than others lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I noticed this is a very old thread, but I receintly wondered how possible this was. Has anyone tried this swap yet? I have a '91 S15 and an '05 Sunfire. What I have found so far is that the bellhousing bolt pattern should be the same, but I'm not sure what is different.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I thought the frames were basically the same from a standar short bed first gen to a standard short bed second gen? I know the bumper brackets/frame horns are a little different on the second gens; but didn't think there'd be a problem with the engine mounts if the frames were the same.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
First off the sunfire is FWD application, S15 is RWD, so the starter will be on the wrong side, the intake will be the wrong direction (into the dash), like was said, there will be no mounts for a FWD engine for a RWD OBS S10, would be fun to try, there are other threads about this too.....

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I was referring (and misread) to the S10 2.2......not the Sunfire FWD engine.

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
2.5 all day vs the S10 2.2 my .02 Now if you wanted to do some work and install an 03+ EcoTech that would be pretty cool.... I would go with the 2.4l tho....

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
I got much better mileage out of my 2.5 than my 2.2L. The 2.5 gets 34+ mpg on the highway empty, 30ish loaded with work equipment...the 2.2L gets 27 at best loaded with the exact same equipment.

Of course, the 2.5 is on a reg cab short bed, no PS, no PB, no AC, no ANYTHING. 5spd manual.

The 2.2L is on an ext cab, PS, PB, AC. However, I know for a fact my 2.5L with its old TBI would completely trash the 2.2L in a race any day. IMHO those 2.2L engines are weak. Its probably the slowest vehicle Ive ever owned.

BTW my 2.5 has 350,000 miles, so dont let mileage alone be the deciding factor on replacing/rebuilding it. I just drove it today, did a massive screaming burnout in the road, and parked it. (I have a thread on fixing its rusty frame)

I literally drove the schit out of it for 10 years, and it belonged to a volunteer firefighter before me. He bought it new. These engines are extremely resiliant with regular maintenance.

Edit: I didnt realize it was a necro'd thread. Moving on.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I got much better mileage out of my 2.5 than my 2.2L. The 2.5 gets 34+ mpg on the highway empty, 30ish loaded with work equipment...the 2.2L gets 27 at best loaded with the exact same equipment.
Wow! 34 mpg?! Are you sure you are calculating that correctly?! LOL! I don't know of anyone on here getting even close to that out of their 2.5's. I got 31 mpg ONCE! I was averaging 27.5 for the past 3 and a half years.......then recently I did a tune up again and put a 180 thermostat in and was averaging 28-29. That being said, I've heard many guys say that they've lost around 3 mpg (in whatever they were driving) once the gas companies starting cutting the gas with 10% ethanol. There are still a few gas stations that offer pure gasoline; but none of them are located near me........out west further. Are you running straight gasoline, or are you stuck with the ethanol/gas mix too? Btw, my truck is optioned just like your's.......no power anything, no a/c, standard cab '91 5 speed.......with 151,000 miles. It had 97,000 when I put it on the road 3 and half years ago.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Wow! 34 mpg?! Are you sure you are calculating that correctly?! LOL! I don't know of anyone on here getting even close to that out of their 2.5's. I got 31 mpg ONCE! I was averaging 27.5 for the past 3 and a half years.......then recently I did a tune up again and put a 180 thermostat in and was averaging 28-29. That being said, I've heard many guys say that they've lost around 3 mpg (in whatever they were driving) once the gas companies starting cutting the gas with 10% ethanol. There are still a few gas stations that offer pure gasoline; but none of them are located near me........out west further. Are you running straight gasoline, or are you stuck with the ethanol/gas mix too? Btw, my truck is optioned just like your's.......no power anything, no a/c, standard cab '91 5 speed.......with 151,000 miles. It had 97,000 when I put it on the road 3 and half years ago.

Positive. (its kinda hard to screw that up) I check my fuel economy every time I fill up, in every vehicle I own. I use Prolong, Valvoline full synthetic, and Lucas Oil Upper Cylinder Lubricant. I typically ran 93 octane in it, and have advanced my timing at the distributer. Most of our fuel has 10% ethanol, which does have less energy, but we do have stations with 100% real gasoline. 93 octane here may not have any ethanol too; I dont know about that for sure. Im certain the FAI and exhaust also make a difference - the exhaust ends where the CAT used to end, and its a Cherry Bomb. It breathes about as free as it possibly can, since the exhaust is basically a header anyway. Its also got ~350,000 miles on it, and I still achieve this kind of mileage.

How you drive it make a lot of difference; and I drive it fast but I dont blast up to speed through every gear any more. Its got 14" tires too :p Runs 2750 RPM @ 70mph.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts