S-10 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
the Zen of S10
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the near future, I would like to lower my 97 S10 4.3 ext. cab.
What are the best products for performance handling and what drop is the best compromise between looks, ride comfort, and handling? Initially I wanted Eibach or Hotchkis but was disappointed to find limited availability. When using block kits, does it make a rougher ride?

other can of worms:

with this uneven suspension that GM has so handed to owners of certain S10s, will this make the problem worse or possibly correct it (Belltech spacer)?

It is a daily driver with a truck box, but I keep it detailed daily.
Should I go 2/3 or 3/4? I notice that my truck also already has a lowered appearance, whereas many others on the road have a much higher stance. Besides the Xtreme S10s, were there different suspensions for the S10s?

sorry for all the questions, just don't want to be disappointed when I take it to a shop and tell them what I "think" I want and get something else.

my priorities for suspension are in this order: handling
ride comfort
appearance

help :wtf:

·
Sold
4,592 Posts
check you rpo codes on the glove box door for (zq8) that is the rpo code for the suspension that came on the ss and now xtemes and any s-10 ordered with it.
its lowered 2 inches front and back with 1.5 drop coils and leafs. and a 1/2 inch from smaller tires.
and has real nice sway bars front and back.

·
Deadbeat
1,331 Posts
as joe said u probably have the zq8 suspension....as far as ride comfort goes you can keep it like stock with using spindles and blocks and keeping your same shocks but u have to make clearance to do that because the comfort is from having more suspension travel.....2/3 looks good on a xtreme because it has gfx which give it a lower appearance on top of the zq8...since u have a box on the back you might want to measure from the top of the fender to the ground and go with a 2/2, 3/3 if the back sits lower from the weight of the box. Blocks just raise the axle off the leafs so ride comfort stays the same as long as u keep the same shocks. Your priority lean for a 3/3 (3/4 if box doesnt bring the back down to much) Also for comfort your gonna want to cut the rear bumps and brackets off so you dont bottom out. The belltech spacer should even out the front a little more, its not the lowering makes it worse it just makes it more noticable but if u do a 3/3 3/4 drop your gonna have to get new coils which might correct the problem anyway I'm not really sure about that though.

·
Sold
4,592 Posts
changing the coils won't fix the lean. it may change how much it is more or less.
if you have the zq8 suspension i would go with what CynicX said first, spindles and blocks.pretty much the same ride quality you have now.

·
the Zen of S10
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm certain I don't have ZQ8, in my RPO codes, there is a ZQ6-Not Found on the database link you provided. There is also a code that is as follows: Z83- chassis package, solid smooth ride.
So does anyone know what kind of suspension I have? It does not corner like it's on rails (lots of sway and quite bouncy going over rolling hills in the road at high speeds) I'm looking for performance handling without suffering too greatly by feeling rocks on the freeway. Know what I mean? I want to also correct or decrease the sag on the drivers side. Thanks joe and everyone else!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts