S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Been there Done it
8,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I thought I'd do a little online shopping to see if I could find any deals on a new set of tires for our SUV.
It's a 2016 Equinox LTZ with the 300HP 3.6l and AWD. The original tires are at 61K and getting down there. Was hoping of find some before fall at a good deal. Sort of wanted to stay with the Michelins but was hoping to find some that were more snow friendly than the original all season tires. They have a Cross Climate that is winter rated with the 3MSF rating.
First place I looked was tire rack where a set of 4 was $879 with tax in the 235/55R18's needed. Then I shopped around for about an hour. Ended up at Onlinetires.com.
With the current 10% covid19 promo and no sales tax they came to $570 for the same Michelin tires.
That's $309 cheaper.
I was surprised that there could be that much difference for 1 set of tires. That 35% less. I bought them. Like getting 1-1/2 tires free.
Will remember this when shopping for S10 tires. Which I'll also need this summer.

·
Old Fart
3,705 Posts
This morning I thought I'd do a little online shopping to see if I could find any deals on a new set of tires for our SUV.
It's a 2016 Equinox LTZ with the 300HP 3.6l and AWD. The original tires are at 61K and getting down there. Was hoping of find some before fall at a good deal. Sort of wanted to stay with the Michelins but was hoping to find some that were more snow friendly than the original all season tires. They have a Cross Climate that is winter rated with the 3MSF rating.
First place I looked was tire rack where a set of 4 was $879 with tax in the 235/55R18's needed. Then I shopped around for about an hour. Ended up at Onlinetires.com.
With the current 10% covid19 promo and no sales tax they came to $570 for the same Michelin tires.
That's $309 cheaper.
I was surprised that there could be that much difference for 1 set of tires. That 35% less. I bought them. Like getting 1-1/2 tires free.
Will remember this when shopping for S10 tires. Which I'll also need this summer.
I wish I would have read this before ordering my new tires, I just spent $950 at Discount for my 17s for my new Americans.

·
Old Fart
3,705 Posts
I just checked pricing and no cheaper that Discount for the same tires.

·
time to get cereal
3,209 Posts
Hmm just checked the prices on the BF Goodrich Sport Comp II summer tires I have, under $600 for the set at Discount Tire Direct.

·
Old Fart
3,705 Posts
Hmm just checked the prices on the BF Goodrich Sport Comp II summer tires I have, under $600 for the set at Discount Tire Direct.
That is what I wanted to use but they don't make a 285-40R 17. 😕

·
Old Fart
3,705 Posts
I want the correct diameter so I don't through the speedometer off or reduce my gas mileage even more.

·
Old Fart
3,705 Posts
275's are the same diameter as 285's, 285's are wider.
You need to learn about tire sizing a 285 40 is a larger diameter than a 275 40 since 40 is the percentage of the width that the sidewall is. 40% of 285 is more than 40% of 275. the 275 is 25.7 inches tall vs 26.0 for the 285. 😉

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I actually did not know that so I did learn haha. And then out of curiosity I typed it into some site and it said the speedometer would be off by roughly a multiple of .01 mph going from a 25.7 to 26 diameter.

·
Old Fart
3,705 Posts
Sorry that should be 1.01 since it won't let me edit it.
That would be 1.01% which means the faster you go the more mph off it will be. You didn't pay attention in math class. did you? 🤣

·
Super Moderator
20,517 Posts
That means the MPG will be better instantly. You missed out. ;)

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
That would be 1.01% which means the faster you go the more mph off it will be. You didn't pay attention in math class. did you? 🤣
Well in my defense I said "a multiple of" in the previous post and then when I corrected to 1.01 it was supposed to mean a a multiple of 1.01.

·
Old Fart
3,705 Posts
I didn't realize he was from Canada, I guess the metric system throws everything off! 🤣 🤣 🤣

1 - 18 of 18 Posts