S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 S10 with 4.3 auto trans 2wd.
Runs fine until it reaches operating temperature. Once warm engine jerks when you accelerate quickly and the tach jump sporadically from 3000-6000 rpm. It also lungea occasionally at 55-60 mph. I had another complete throttle body I put on and changed the fuel filter with no luck on fixing the issue. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks Don

·
Registered
66 Posts
When was the last time the transmission was serviced?

I experienced everything you mentioned in my 91.

The transmission (700R4) had bad valves and the TV cable wasn't porting the fluid correctly during acceleration.
I had to overhaul the transmission.

It could be different for you? Your model year has an electronically controlled transmission.

I hope this helps?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Are you getting any engine codes?

Is all your maintenance up to date?

Trans oil level and condition? It sounds like the trans may be getting bad.

Those trans have an electronic valve body with pressure switches and solenoids that may be dying.

EGR might cause surging but would not cause the RPM to flare.
Is it loosing power or loosing drive, Motor or trans?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Put the transmission in "2". From a stop with engine warm, move ahead to about 5 mph, then mash the throttle until you get to redline. Does the transmission miss at all? Now switch the transmission to "3" and try again. In either test, If the engine RPMs swing up wildly and you lose acceleration, take your foot off the gas immediately.

If you have an auto transmission problem, it will almost always take out the 3-4 clutches regardless of what other problem started the failure. If you lose accel in the "3" test, your trans is done and you're driving on borrowed time! If the "2" and "3" test behave the same way (losing acceleration and RPMs spinning up), it's possible that you've toasted the forward clutches as well. If you lose acceleration and your RPMs do not spin up at the exact same time, then you do NOT have a transmission problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts